Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Current measuring through CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thota Suresh Avionics

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am measuring current through 5 Amps CT,which can measure maximum of 5-Amps, I don't know the number of turns in CT.

I have tried different shunt values to get 1 Volt at maximum CT rating and i have used 860E shunt value , i could find 0.96 V at 5-Amps load on CT.

I am reading 0.96V at 5 amps load through micro controller after removing 2.5V DC offset to applying TRMS algorithm. After I have derived a constant value 'X' and when it is multiplied with TRMS value i could find current proportional to the load and parllely observed with clamp meter.

X = Load in Current / Current in Voltage i.e., X = 5-Amps / 0.96 V =5.1867

the circuit which i have used is attached, is this the correct method to measure the current ? Do we have any better circuits and algorithms?

Rs = 860E

CT.png

I am kind of concerned about the higher shunt resistor you are using which is 860 ohms. May be you need to double check this. Because with higher currents in the secondary, you may risk damaging this resistor and the micro circuit.
The circuit configuration you are using is almost good except for a change i would suggest. Moving of the capacitor from the Ain pin to the CT terminal and 2.5V reference node.

how to reduce shunt resistance for the above circuit ? We cannot change reference voltage :cry:

Hi,

Do we have any better circuits and algorithms?

I can suggest you better circuit which I already used for measuring AC current from 50Amp to 300Amps. The output of CT connected with 0.1R and then feed to True RMS AD736 chip. You can read the output of AD736 with any ADC.

I can suggest you better circuit which I already used for measuring AC current from 50Amp to 300Amps. The output of CT connected with 0.1R and then feed to True RMS AD736 chip. You can read the output of AD736 with any ADC.

Hi,Thanq for the reply..

Can you please post your circuit so that i can check
thanking you.

You may use amplification circuit as per your ADC input specifications.

View attachment 114153

I think that the connector CON2 you shown in the schematic is connected to CT with sense resistor in place. Whats the value of that Rs?
Also the circuit you have given is a difference amplifier, so it just acts an amplifier of AC signal at the Rs and feeds it to the TRMS to DC converter. If no amplification required then all the resistors in opamp circuit shall be of same value.
For the Qn asked, if not much of the circuit is required to be implemented then the Rs along with Vref circuit and current limiting into ADC pin should be sufficient. The TRMS to DC converison can be handled by the firmware.

Hi,

I am measuring current through 5 Amps CT,which can measure maximum of 5-Amps, I don't know the number of turns in CT.

I have tried different shunt values to get 1 Volt at maximum CT rating and i have used 860E shunt value , i could find 0.96 V at 5-Amps load on CT.

I am reading 0.96V at 5 amps load through micro controller after removing 2.5V DC offset to applying TRMS algorithm. After I have derived a constant value 'X' and when it is multiplied with TRMS value i could find current proportional to the load and parllely observed with clamp meter.

X = Load in Current / Current in Voltage i.e., X = 5-Amps / 0.96 V =5.1867

the circuit which i have used is attached, is this the correct method to measure the current ? Do we have any better circuits and algorithms?

Rs = 860E

View attachment 114146

hi this method didn't worked for me :( how did you made it work? coding?

Can you please post your code too?

Nothing special in coding I used MSC51 controller with ADC0808. Then special thing is the above circuit which make my life easy. It give equivalent value of AC current in term of DC and I read that value through ADC0808.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the value of that Rs?
0.1R I used.

Also the circuit you have given is a difference amplifier, so it just acts an amplifier of AC signal at the Rs and feeds it to the TRMS to DC converter. If no amplification required then all the resistors in opamp circuit shall be of same value.

Yes, it is difference amplifier which measures the AC voltage across the shunt resistance then it is feed to RMS to DC converter then as per your ADC requirement you can set ur amplifier gain.

For the Qn asked, if not much of the circuit is required to be implemented then the Rs along with Vref circuit and current limiting into ADC pin should be sufficient. The TRMS to DC converison can be handled by the firmware.

sURE, it is upto you. If you donot want to use RMS to DC converter than you may used ur own algo. In any case you have to convert the AC signal into DC or insert offset to shift the AC variation in one quadrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back