Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current measurement Shunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
example max4081

How to make a SHUNT for 5A current measurement. The application is a power meter whereby the current from a CT is 5amps and has to be fed to a SHUNT to convert to voltage for measurement by an AD77xx series IC.

I have tried using Nichrome wire but it is not solderable. Using Iron or other metals with high R, there is a problem with high temperature co-efficent.

any suggestions

measurement shunt

Hello techie,

are you not able to use standard shunts? There are a lot of available for example from Isabellenhuette etc.
Which resistance do you need?

by,
cube007

current measurement shunt

I need about 0.1ohm 5Amps.

Can you mentiond some website for these. what is the approximate cost.

On some websites like allied, they are avaialable for $30 or so per pc. I need 3 shunts for 1 meter. Cant afford to have them used. Afterall they are just pieces of nichrome metal which is cheap.

I dont need high precision. 1% or so is enough

You should take a look into other distributors like Farnell, etc. They all have shunts which you could use.

by,
cube007

Hi,
Nichrome is used for Power resistors or Toasters.
Bad as a shunt. It has a high temp coefficient.
Constantan is better. It's a classic alloy for shunts.

But 5A is not so high. Why don't use several low tempco standard resistors in parallel instead of building a custom one ?

Regards,
cent

Hi techie,

you can build your shunt also by paralleling more resistors. So you can use 10 times a 1Ohm resistor. You have a maximal power dissipation of I^2*R = 2.5W divided by 10 resistors, so each one have 1/4W --> these are standard devices.

Bye

Hi techie,

take look at the Homepage from Maxim (www.maximic.com) and search for:
MAX4080, MAX4081
MAX471, MAX472
MAX4069-MAX4072
MAX4373-MAX4375

The devices are Current Sense Amplifiers for Power Level, Battery Voltage and Current Design.

You can use them for an easy way to measure current.

by,
cube007

hello
check www.ohmite.com or www.vishay.com
CS3 resistors from ohmite are 4 wire resistore for your purpose.
Precision Current Sense resistor with a non inductive Terminals; silver plated & tinned.

I think 0.1 ohm for shunt is too high ,you should use 0.005 or 0.010 ohm resistors,so dissipation is low at 5 amps! four wire resistors is needed for sensing the voltage across the resistor and eleminating the wire ohmic loss.

bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back