Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current carrying capacity of via.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmd4raj

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
via current carrying capacity

In my design the maximum current is 2Amps,and am using the vias to connect to power plane.please suggest me the via size and number of vias thaat i have to use to deliver the full current of 2Amps

Regards
Rajan.K

via size current

A rule of thumb for the current a via can pass is that it will take approximately 3 times the current as a track as wide as the diameter of the via.

You can find calculaters to calculate track current on the web.

The rule of thumb is based on the fact that the 'Width' of the via, if it was opened out to a flat track is Pi * D.

current via capacity

Thank u for your valuable information

Regards
Rajan.K

maximum vias current

I would suggest downloading and installing the Saturn PCB Design Reference Toolkit. One of the things the toolkit has is a way to calculate the current capacity of a via. This toolkit is free and has a lot of other useful features.

hi,
can you tell how do we decide a via size comparing with track width

thanks in advance :)

I dont think track width comes into it much, unless it's a high current track.
Boards are getting denser and it's mostly what is the smallest via I can use without incuring a manufacturing cost penalty. The maority of via's on a board will be on tracks with signal or data and low current.
We use a 40/20 thou via pretty much as standard, and maybe somthing larger for power lines.
0.5mm drill size causes no problems and most pcb fabs will handle 0.3mm without complaining. Any smaller and the costs go up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back