Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST Simulation for metal mesh filters (frequency selective surface)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangjing

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all:

I am trying to reproduce the work from paper "Resonant metal-mesh bandpass filters for the far infrared" by D. W. Porterfield etc.

The geometry of the mesh filter is shows as below:
geometry.jpg

There are four filters considered in this paper (central frequency are 0.587, 1.195, 1.537 and 2.125 THz, respectively). The thickness of the metal mesh filter is not specified, I assume it is 10 um in my simulation. All the parameters are provided and the simulated resulted are presented in the paper as well:

QQ截图20120704111534.jpg
QQ截图20120704111545.jpg

CST is used for the simulations. However, I am not able to obtain the same results as shown in the paper. I can have roughly same centre frequency for 113, 154 and 201 filters but the bandwidths are much wider than the results in the paper. For 402 filter, I observed higher order resonant in my CST simulation which is not shown in the paper, please see the figure below for my simulation results:
freq_domain_floquet_mode.jpg

In the CST simulations, I set the boundary condition as below, and the modelling is provided. Only TE(0,0) and TM(0,0) floquet modes are used (which presents TEM mode plane wave excitation).
modelling and boundary condition.JPG

My questions are:

1. Why I cannot get the same results as shown in paper? I have a wider bandwidth and a central frequency shift ~ 0.1 THz.
2. I use TEM modes as the source. But for real measurement, higher modes may also propogate through this structure. Do I have to increase the number of modes in the simulation?
3. Is there any other way to model this structure? How to set the boundary conditions?

For your convienence, I also attached my cst file (NOTE that the parameter in my modelling is G, L, K instead of G, K, J in the paper)

Many thanks in advance.

Fangjing

Attachments

• freq_domain_floquet_mode (porterfield_402).zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 161

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back