Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST-radiation efficiency larger than 1 ...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sas11

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
radiation efficiency bigger than 1 cst

Hi all!

I've designed a microstrip p atch antenna with CST microwave.
I've noticed in the farfield computation,that the radiation efficiency is larger than 1???
Could someone please explain me how can it be,or where did I wrong?
I've attached my model.
Thanks in advance.

cst radiation effic

try to refine your mesh or give it more time
to run by chosing -40 or -50db in solver.

cst efficiency larger than 1

Yes,

in fact one of the possible reasons about the difference from the exact value (i.e. 1) of radiation efficency (or ratio Gain/Directivity) in a lossless structure is sometime related to abortion of a transient calculation at a too early stage.
In this case we have a meaning remaining energy inside the structure and that affects the correct evaluation of Gain (in fact the evaluation of this quantity is related also to the losses and a remaining energy is similar to a loss); then it is possible to have a radiation efficiency not equal to 1 also in a lossless structure.

Regards

radiation efficiency larger than 1

Hi

I quickly calculated your structure down to -50 dB. (With MWS version 5)

The rad eff. is 0.9997. I guess we can count this as a 1 ...

F.

cst radiation efficiency

Hi,

I want to add my consideration about last RFSimulator post.
When you calculate your structure down to -30, -40, -50 or more dB, (in the case of lossless structure) you can see that directivity is almost stable; instead gain slowly tends to the directivity. Therefore also rad eff tends slowly to exact value (i.e. 1).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back