Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] CST impedance and scattering matrix explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovibb

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you for explanation. I investigated simple (ideal, lossless) microstrip transmission line (MTL) in CST Design Studio (analytical model) with characteristic line impedance approximately 54 Ohm (poor real-valued) and I matched all port reference impedances to this value. Therefore one can expect that input impedance of MTL will be independent on length itself and only slightly dependent on operational frequencies (if any). This presumption is correct when I done a transient simulation (attached pictures) where input impedance had the same value like load and characteristic line impedance. However if I investigated Z matrix parameter (attached pictures), the real part of input impedance is close to zero and imaginary part exist too and I really don't understand why, how it's possible :'( ???. I took this values (real and imaginary part) and calculated input reflection coefficient (S11 parameter) by hand. The achieved results didn't agree with results from S-parameter task simulation. Therefore I am absolutely confused, please can someone tell me where I do a mistake? I also simulated investigated structure in CTS Microwave Studio and I got the same result :( .

Thank you very much for any advice.

Project files and pictures can be find at my cloud: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D2651592_99378794_6193572

You used a quite new version of CST, so unable to open. Recall the definition of z11. it's the input voltage/input current with the output open. Then take a equivalent circuit for your transmission line (easiest: series inductance and parallel capacitance) and voila: real(Z1,1) should almost zero and im(Z1,1) should be some frequency dependent value.

Reactions: kovibb

kovibb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back