Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST E-Field Export - Calculate Magnitude of complex field export

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfield

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

after simulation I can export the electric field values in CST Microwave Studio Suite.
The e-field is exported in complex form, to be specific in the folowing form:

x | y | z | ExRe | ExIm | EyRe | EyIm | EzRe | EzIm

As you can see, for every spatial point in 3D volume (x,y,z) the e-field yields a real and imaginary part for every coordinate point respectively.
Now I would like to calculate the magnitude of the e-field, how would I do that?
I tried:

ex = sqrt( ExRe² + ExIm² )
ey = sqrt( EyRe² + EyIm² )
ez = sqrt( EzRe² + EzIm² )
Emag = sqrt( ex² + ey² + ez² )

But when I place an e-field probe in CST and check its recorded e-field magnitude at the same position, it shows slightly different results compared to my calculation above.
Where is my mistake?

Im happy about every hint.
Thank you very much.

-hfield

Hi,

how large is the difference? Your "slightly" deviation might be caused by a precision difference of CST and your "calculation" program e.g. MATLAB uses 16 Bit precision by default. Maybe the fractional digits of your exported data is limited/croped. Are you able to extract the individual directional field components by the use of a E-field probe? If so use this values to exclude the data export function.

BR

Hi stenzer,

thank you very much for your reply.
Meanwhile I was able to check it:

By using the post-processing template and evaluating the electric field at arbitrary cooridinates with settings:
Component: absolute | Complex: magnitude I get this result:
Fieldvalue: 5.807928 V/m
The E-Field Probe at the same location holds this value (abs): 5.805258 V/m

When exporting the complex electric field with all its real/imaginary parts and calculating the absolute value as described in my first post however, I get this result:
Fieldvalue: 6.097246 V/m

That is quite a big difference ...
Do you know what the cause for this deviation might be?

Thank you very much!

-hfield

Hi,

yes that's quite a big difference. Are you able to extract the x, y and z component directly in CST e.g. by the use of a probe? If so compare those values with the extracted values at a dedicated point. How do the exported values look like by means of fractional digits?

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back