Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] CSI-2 FIFO or Line buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stark43

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I'm interested in MIPI CSI-2 and I have a question. (640x512) Parallel 8-bit pixel data at 20Mhz frequency comes from my camera and I need to serialize this data quickly (like 200Mhz).
* Do I need to save the incoming data in a 512 byte wide line buffer and serialize it completely when the line buffer is full?
*Do I need to serialize without waiting for the line buffer to fill up?
*Do I need to define an asynchronous or synchronous FIFO? If it does, do I need to read the data without waiting for the FIFO to fill? What are your thoughts on this?

Hi,

it depends on so many things... but mainly on your "serial interface", it´s structure, it´s protocol, it´s timing behaviour, error handling, and so on.

But it also depends on your needs. There are many interfaces available, some are especialy designed for cameras. Some may suit your needs, some not.

Some examples:
* you could use an LVDS SERDES interface. No error handling, no frame sync, no bus system, no bidirectional data, ... just bare "data in --> data out"

* you could use ethernet. A bus system. Needs overhead for headers, error detection, collision control, block transfer means you neeed a buffer, bidirectional, ....

Each has it´s benefits and drawbacks. We don´t know your requirements, targets, preferences...

I recommend to do internet research. You are by far not the first one who does picture transport via serial interface. Thus there are several solutions for different requirements. No need to re invent the wheel. Gain from the experience of others.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back