Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[CSHRC] Working with capital and small letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

maulin sheth

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

If I written in capital/small letter but it works for both
e.g
If I write GVIM/gvim thn it is working for both it behave as gvim in linux.

Is there any option to achieve this?What should I have to add in .cshrc file.

Thanks & Regards,

Like most OS's, LINUX sees a difference between upper-case and lower-case.
You could use the alias command if you wished to alias GVIM to gvim.
It is not advised, because it merely postpones the dawning to the user
that case matters for all aspects of LINUX; not just for gvim but for all commands and
directory paths, just like case matters in programming languages too.

Like most OS's, LINUX sees a difference between upper-case and lower-case.
You could use the alias command if you wished to alias GVIM to gvim.
It is not advised, because it merely postpones the dawning to the user
that case matters for all aspects of LINUX; not just for gvim but for all commands and
directory paths, just like case matters in programming languages too.

Thanks for Help.
GVIM is just for example.
I want to do it for all cases.
Another example:
If in my current directory is work and inside this directory,the other directory like project1,project2 & project3.
So if in Command Line if I wrote PROJECT1 thn it by default changed to project1......
If Directory name is PROJECT1 thn if I wrote the project1 thn also as well as it goes into this directory.
Means it checks that irrespective of case latter whether it is capital or small...

You'd have to write your own custom shell from scratch, or recode the Linux OS to do that. It would render it
most likely non POSIX compliant too, and possibly affect behavior of existing software.
In summary - you can't do this via .cshrc, or in any reasonable manner.

You'd have to write your own custom shell from scratch, or recode the Linux OS to do that. It would render it
most likely non POSIX compliant too, and possibly affect behavior of existing software.

Thank you.I will try.
But have u any idea,How to achieve this?

Hello Sky_123,
I got the solution :
We have to add:
set autolist
set complete=enhance.

See the link : https://kolipaka.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/case-insensitive-tab-auto-completion-in-bashcsh-shell/

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Sky_123,
I got the solution :
We have to add:
set autolist
set complete=enhance.

See the link : https://kolipaka.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/case-insensitive-tab-auto-completion-in-bashcsh-shell/

You've discovered an enhancement to tab completion. You'll still need to be case-sensitive when working with Linux - typing in software,
writing programs and scripts.
I personally don't find it a handicap, but some people disable their caps-lock key if it really bugs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.