Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal oscillator frequency Vs Amplitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple adding components! Every component adds phase noise.

Yes, true but wont it be less (relatively) when compared to with AGC compared to normal mode of operation (where we generally target larger negative resistance) where we allow the active device to go non-linear region? and of course it depends on the active transistor gain; I guess we would be having lesser phase noise when compared to the device operating in non-linear region. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The devil is in the details. Either a current source or a mos as linear resister, for an agc injects 1/f noise that gets up-converted. It’s a standard problem in x-coupled, tail biased oscillators. There are papers with all sorts of techniques to try and minimise up-conversion from the tail source. e.g. 2nd harmonic LC filter.

I want to do a AGC loop where I start with maximum current and adjust the current till the amplitude is set to known voltage. Is it possible to support the wide of range of shunt and load capacitance combinations this way ? Can there be a case that oscillator may not start at maximum current but has the ability to start at lower current depending upon the combination of load and shunt capacitance?

TI run the simulations in spectre I need to use the maxtime step option in Spectre. Generally what should be the value of this? Does this number affect the amplitude, period jitter etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.