Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creepage distance about Triac

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepty

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am planning to use the BTB10-800CW Triac for a 240Vac, 5A load. The package is TO-220. It will be used for a home appliance. My colleague always tell me that I should have at least 3mm creepage distance for the high voltage part (240Vac). I double checked the requirement of the creepage distance from the IEC and UL safety standard document, with the solder resist and CTI 600 PCB, the creepage distance is something like 1.X ~ 2mm (I forgot the exact number). However, the distance between the A1 and A2 pins on the TO-220 triac is much less than 3mm, the distance between the pads is only 0.6mm actually. I saw somebody bend the middle lead, but I think that it is unreasonable that the manufacturer make this TO-220 triac if it can not meet the safety standard. This triac has a breakdown voltage of 800V !8O

So what is the required creepage distance between the lead of the Triac?
:?:

I think that it is unreasonable that the manufacturer make this TO-220 triac if it can not meet the safety standard.
The triac itself doesn't provide safe isolation, in safety relation it must be expected to fail at any time. Required creepage distance depends on pollution level, surface finish and CTI. The smallest table value according to IEC1010 will be 0.7 mm, which is achievable with TO-220.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back