Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating tasks in Embedded Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowthamn

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have been working in writing linux kernel and never worked on writing applications. I am required to develop application which reads file from USB drive and copies the data into Flash memory.
The design approach was to have multitasking.
I am not well versed in creating tasks in embedded linux, can you give some inputs how to start multitasking in linux, also some examples if available so that i can start my development.

Hello Gowthamn,
Please let us know the name of the embedded linux you are using. Is it uclinux? Does it have mmu support or not? We will usually create process for multitasking which u can do via fork.

Hi All,

I am not well versed in creating tasks in embedded linux, can you give some inputs how to start multitasking in linux, also some examples if available so that i can start my development.

Does Your Embedded linux supports applications? If yes then you can write an application. If you can write an application and execute on your Embedded Linux then You can create a task. then If your Embedded Linux kernel Has a fork() system call then you can create new processes from within your application. If your Root FS has libpthread and corresponding Header files then you can even write multi threaded application.

regarding examples
try some printf(" dsfhgdsakjfghsak\n");
fork();
fork();
see if it prints and why it prints.
enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.