Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Create a case insensitive netlist from verilog using DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

manchuk

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to Synopsys design compiler. Trying to synthesis a verilog code to create a case insensitive netlist.
The verilog code has some uppercase parameters like NAME, DATE etc . These parameters are synthesised into the gate names like top_NAME top_DATE . I would like to get all lower case netlist with names like top_name or top_date.

I am using the commands

define_name_rules LOWERCASEONLY -allow "a-z 0-9 _"
change_names -rules LOWERCASEONLY -verbose -hier

These commands dont change the upper case parameters in HDL to lower case names in netlist. I would like to know if DC command can change the uppercase RTL names into lower case netlist during synthesis ?

I'm sure there's a way to do that in DC, but I can guarantee it will be faster and easier to do it with perl with a simple one-liner like:

Code:
perl -p -e 'tr/A-Z/a-z/;' input_file > output_file

manchuk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
define_name_rules MIZA -case_insensitive
change_names -rules verilog -hierarchy
change_names -rules MIZA -hierarchy

manchuk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@randyest : Thanks a lot for the perl one liner .My only concern is if the design has one net name TOP_name and a different net name top_name. When I run this perl scrip it will short 2 nets which are supposed to be different. TOP_name and top_name are supposed to be 2 different nets.I am not sure if DC will assign such names but incase it does then it will break the design.

@RBB : Thanks for the commands but for some reason this changes the net names but not the module instance names in netlist . The module names are still of the format TOP_name (combination of upper case and lower case).

Would we be having any command or switch that will give all lower case module instance names in the created netlist ? Thanks in advance.

I didn't read your original post closely enough. It should be easy enough in a tcl script to get each module name and rename it to it's lower case equivalent though.

Out of curiosity why is it so important to have a case-insensitive netlist? All down stream tools I've used handled DC netlists just fine.

@RBB..Thanks for the reply. This netlist gets ported to another tool which is case in sensitive. The tool will choke if there are 2 module names like TOP_module1 and top_module1. So I am trying to force DC to dump out a case insensitive netlist .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back