Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coupling HFSS to ePhycics

Status
Not open for further replies.

berser.k

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ths3d

Hi everybody,

I've been using HFSS 11.0.2 and trying to get it coupled to ePhysics 2. I follow all the proper steps (explained on ansoft web site) to import the HFSS model into ePhysics but when I start a static thermal analysis an error notice always appears :"Solving Static Thermal, process ths3d died
unexpectedly". I guess there's a problem when ePhysics tries to open the HFSS file...

I can't understand what's wrong? is there anything important to do during the coupling of the two codes?

Hope you'll help me...

berser.k

process ths3d died unexpectedly.

This may not apply as it was an HFSS vs. Designer problem where I experienced the problem but it sounds similar.

Look at your file names very critically and pay particular attention to uppercase and lowercase. The code was cap-sensitive and when I got that straight everything worked fine.

Good Luck.

berser.k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ephysics example

you mean the names of the two files (HFSS and ePhysics) concerning the same project have to be equal...ok,I'll try...

Thank you very much

heat transfer with hfss

The filenames of the files passing information back and forth need to be identical. For example 'datafile.Dat' and 'datafile.dat' gave me problems. In some places Ansoft software is not cap sensitive and elsewhere it is.

I don't think that the overall project names matter. I was not suggesting that as a possible solution.

ephysics hfss

I understand what you say...The thing is I don't have ".dat" files or whatever.I mean, in order to get ePhysics2 coupled to HFSS11, once you've imported the HFSS model in ePhysics2 using "Import from the clipboard", you do the link just putting in the solver setup the name of the previously solved HFSS file ".hfss". Isn't that right? or there's something more complicated to do first?

Thank you in advance

berser.k

hfss +thermal analysis

I would like to be more helpful. I am not familiar with the interface to ePhysics. Your problem sounded a little like one that I had with two other Ansoft products. Once I found the problem the solution was trivial.

Try one of their application engineers to help run it to ground.

ephysics 3

I was told by our Ansoft rep that HFSS 11 doesn't integrate with ePhysics v2. ePhysics v3 is due out soon, and should play nice together with HFSS v11. I haven't tried it, but that is what I was told.

Hi,

I think I managed to get HFSS coupled to ePhysics. It's not a question a simulator versions...I succeded when I let HFSS solve also inside the material and then I gave it to ePhysics. but then I tried simply giving to ePhysics the project solved by HFSS without solving inside material and it worked as well...so, maybe it's a question of trying different ways...weird...

Anyway, I've got a new question concerning ePhysics boundaries setup:

what's the heat transfer coefficient (H) for the copper? does it refer to its thermal conductivity?

Regards

berser.k

HFSS 11 doesn't integrate with ePhysics v2. ePhysics v3 is due out soon, and should play nice together with HFSS v11. I haven't tried it, but that is what I was told.

I also have the same problem. My HFSS v11.1.1 and ePhysics v3.1 don't couple well. Even I set the material "solved inside " in HFSS, and give the model to ephysics, ephysics also show that "ths3d died expectedly", it confuses me badly, please help me, thx in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back