Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] coupling factor and loss of a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfcn

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do the coupling factor and loss of a transformer mean the same thing? We can use s-paramter simulation to get the loss of the transformer. How can we simulate the coupling factor of a transformer with s-paramter file?

No they are not the same thing, but when doing a system analysis can see the coupling factor as a loss in the budget of the system.

Convert the S parameters to Z parameters.

Then:
L1=Im[Z11]/2/pi/f
L2=Im[Z22]/2/pi/f
M=Im[Z21]/2/pi/f
K=M/sqrt(L1*L2)

K is the coupling factor.

shlomo22 said:
Convert the S parameters to Z parameters.

Then:
L1=Im[Z11]/2/pi/f
L2=Im[Z22]/2/pi/f
M=Im[Z21]/2/pi/f
K=M/sqrt(L1*L2)

K is the coupling factor.

Hi, shlomo22,

Thanks for your answer! Do you have any reference paper or document on this?

According to my knowlage, to caluculate inductance we should use Y parameter as:
L1 = Im[1/Y11]/2/pi/f
L2 = Im[1/Y22]/2/pi/f
It should be differenct with that calculated by Z parameter. For a two-port network, Z11 != Zin. So, I don't think the first two equations for inductance calculation is corrent until you provide some reference.

regards,
rfcn

The equations for two-port Z parameters are:
V1=Z11*I1+Z12*I2
V2=Z21*I1+Z22*I2

The equations for an ideal transformer are:
V1=jwL1*I1+jwM*I2
V2=jwM*I1+jwL2*I2

The two sets of equations have the same form.

For a single inductor, you can used either Y-parameter or Z-parameter equations, they give the same result because it's a one-port situation and you are inverting a number not a matrix.

rfcn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back