Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coupled oscillator array simulation using ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ueckid

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

Could anyone please tell me whether it is possible to simulate a coupled oscillator array in ADS using Harmonic Balance or Transient analyses?

As far as I know it is impossible to do such a purpose using Harmonic Balance analysis because in HB the initial conditions can not be set sufficiently for finding a convergence solution with multiple oscillators. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

HB analysis can not treat circuit which include more than two autonomous oscillations.

So use Transient Analysis.

Thanks so much for your response. I agree that we can use Transient analysis to investigate the operation of the oscillator array such as output power or oscillation frequency, etc.. However one of the most important characteristics of using the oscillator array is the reduced phase noise which cannot be evaluated using Transient analysis but HB analysis.

I would appreciate if you could give me your recommendations on how to simulate the phase noise of the coupled oscillator array. I am not so sure whether I can use the Circuit Envelop analysis which is the combination of Transient and HB in this case or not.

However one of the most important characteristics of using the oscillator array is the reduced phase noise
If the oscillator array work like as injection locked oscillator, all frequencies of array should be same in steady state.
If so, autonomous HB analysis can find solution.

I am not so sure whether I can use the Circuit Envelop analysis which is the combination of Transient and HB in this case or not.
In envelope simulation, assume following.
one master oscillation frequency as autonomous frequency
and other slave :idea:frequencies are small perturbation from master.

Theoretically envelope simulator should treat your circuits.
However I can not assure convergence and reliabilty.

Envelop analysis of ADSsim is no more than time variable HB analysis where time step control is fixed time step control.

Last edited:
Reactions: ueckid

ueckid

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If the oscillator array work like as injection locked oscillator, all frequencies of array should be same in steady state.
If so, autonomous HB analysis can find solution.

In envelope simulation, assume following.
one primary oscillation frequency as autonomous frequency
and other frequencies are small pertubation from primary.

Theoretically envelope simulator should treat your circuits.
However I can not assure convergence and reliabilty.

I would sincerely appreciate your time for useful discussions and advice. I will try to run the simulation again based on your recommendations. Hope it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back