Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

could anyone explain me how does "break" work in USART ? and why is it used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohi@608

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
could anyone explain me how does "break" work in USART ? and why is it used ?

i am working on a usart but not able to figure out the need of break ...and how to identify a break condition

Re: could anyone explain me how does "break" work in USART ? and why is it used ?

A break is a long '0', so long that the receiver will see it as a zero byte regardless of the receiver baudrate.
The stop bit will also be a zero, so the break condition is identified by all data bits set to '0' together with a framing error.

One usage is to tell the other end to change baudrate.

Re: could anyone explain me how does "break" work in USART ? and why is it used ?

can break be used in both sync and async transmission ? as in case of sync padiing is done to mantain the channel ?/

A "break" is an illegal sequence on an asynchronous data line (framing error),
Since there is no illegal sequence on a synchronous data line, a "break condition" is not possible.

then why do we have a extra indication for break, when we already have a framing error ??

If the UART receiver has extra logic to check for a "break" (checking for a specified length), it can make a better decision.

Without the extra logic, a "break" will only generate a data byte 0x00 with a framing error. In this situation, you can not be sure that is really is a break. It can also be a normal byte with the wrong baud rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back