Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could a 555 timer perform these tasks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

col32

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can a 555timer do this?

Gday all,
I was wondering what sort of timing device I would require (the simplest would be preferable). . . also ... the smaller the better

I need some sort of timer or a combination of timers to perform a series of tasks in order.
1. Power one circuit for 10 sec ... then switch off... then
2. Power a second circuit for 2 seconds... then switch off... then
3. Power a third circuit for 5 seconds... then switch off
(the numbers I am using are just arbitary but are around the mark)

What sort of timer could do this? Are there any online tutorials?
Would a 555 timer, or a series of them work?

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Can a 555timer do this?

A cascade of 555s can do this job ..
See the following post:

Other option is to employ a microcontroller but I am not sure if you would like to follow this path ..

Regards,
IanP

Cascaded 555:s will do the trick but you can also use a 4017 in this fashion,
which gives you greater flexibility (see the traffic light example):
**broken link removed**

hi
i suggest to use a small microcontroller to do this job like (AT89c2051).
it has an adv. that u can change the time easy becouse it is soft ware controlled.
also it is not expensiv.
but if u build it with hardware, if u want to change any thing u have to chang in the components it self
this is my opinion
hope that usefull for u
salam
Ahmed
www.i-g.org

Can a 555timer do this?

Thanks very much for the helpful replys. I'm in the process of working out the limitations in a project i'm doing. Cheers.

Can a 555timer do this?

I have to agree with ahmed. The added flexibility of a uC will allow you to make changes in software rather than changing components. In addition, with a crystal you can get very precise timing.

With a 555, you will need to use 1% components to get any kind of accuracy (the errors multiply) or use multiturn trimmer potentiometers to tune the delays. either approach adds cost and complexity.

Also, if using 555s, I would set it up so you can calibrate each stage seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back