Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cost of heat pipes to cool electronics circuitry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello, Say i want to cool power diodes in flyback converters with heat pipes, is it economically feasible?, there is no data on the web regarding the cost of heatpipes in relation to just using normal heatsinks.
How much do heat pipes cost? There is no cost data on the web
Do standard heat pipes exist?

heat pipes to cool electronics.
**broken link removed**

I've never heard of standard heat pipes, probably they're like heat sinks: you buy them in standard sizes, or you'll have to design your own and have it manufactured at prohibitively high costs.

Perhaps not an option in your application, but if I were you I'd look for a higher power diode (in TO-3P package for example) which can be cooled with a heat sink alone. The combination of a heat sink and an off the shelf fan will be much cheaper than a heat pipe I have the feeling.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
My Dell Inspiron laptop contains a heatpipe. It would not be evident except the techie I purchased it from pointed it out to me while it was open.

It is custom shaped, conveying heat from the central area to an outer edge of the enclosure.

I think the idea is that the congested central area is not convenient to place a cooling fan, and vents. Too much obstruction. Insufficient air circulation.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back