Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Correct 3 bit error in 7k bit length code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyzhu

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I encounter a problem that a 7k bit length code have several error (mostly 3 bit error). And the 3 bit error are burst error(i.e. they are nearby in a small region).

How to correct this 3 error in 7k length code? And should I seperate the 7k code to smaller length code or combine it into larger length code? What error correction method should I choose?

Any idea will be appreciated. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Davy

davyzhu said:
Hello all,

I encounter a problem that a 7k bit length code have several error (mostly 3 bit error). And the 3 bit error are burst error(i.e. they are nearby in a small region).

Only 3 bits in 7 kilobits are wrong? That is very easy to correct. Worst case would be 2 bytes that are wrong. Just arrange the 7K over a block, and use some parity bytes on rows and columns to detect and correct errors.

The method of row and column check bits will work if you first break the initial data into many sections and arrange into a matrix and make the check bits. Then scramble together the new set of data so that the errors that occur in groups are spread out one each in the original set of rectangles with parity bits. (For instance sent the first bit of each matrix in turn, then the second bit etc.) At the receive end sort out the bits to the proper matrix. Do the parity check and the place where the row and column check bit is wrong is the defective bit.

There is probably a more elegant solution. You should find out why the errors occur to start with and fix the problem at the transmission system.

Break 7k data into several block. Before sending a block, sum all data in the block and save it in checksum register. After sending last byte of block, send checksum register immediately. The receiver checks the checksum value if it is correct. It it is ok, go on. Otherwise, no acknowledge can be send.

Status
Not open for further replies.