Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting Serial Data to TCP/IP Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

afnindar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller data from tcp to serial

how the design ?

serial data to tcp

afnindar said:
how the design ?

SphinX suggests a software approach. Do you want a hardware one with a microcontroller instead of PC, as embedded device ?

tcp/ip coverting

Hi

You can use wiznet module or rabbit microcontroller,I think ATMEL has 8051 module with withnet

you can find complete SW for wiznet on
www.freertos.org

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www.i-g.org
mohammad.islamway.net

modem+gprs+tcpip

Hi,

Im also looking for a solution like that, but to build one by my self. i want to connect a TCP/IP connection to a serial interface that a GSM modem has. Thus i will have a network interface, but through the GPRS modem. Any idea what is the interface layer that i need to convert from the TCP/IP to the serial?
Thanks.

converting com data to tcp

Hi,

Cant read spanish, but it looks like what i want to build. Do you have any info on how to do this? i dont want to buy a ready made part.
Thanks.

gprs serial ppp ip tcp

Just wondering what kind of TCP/IP data you want to be.

The reason that asking is that, you can do this either with Ethernet or Modem (both traditional modem or GPRS modem).

For the ethernet one, you may need a MCU, connecting to a LAN controller, such as Realtek's RTL8019AS. And do the TCP/IP stack in software. A simply way is to use a hardware TCP/IP chipset, like WIZnet's W3100A.

The different between is that, for the LAN controller, you must do the TCP/IP/UDP in software way, such that it will consume much MCU resource, like the processing power, as well as the memory usage. For using an HW TCP/IP chip, you can use a slower MCU, or you can have much bandwidth to process the data.

In the modem solution, you just need to interface the MCU with a modem, then do the serial communication. For the fix-line modem, you will need to implement the TCP/IP plus the PPP protocol, which will spend some resource on both code size an memory usage. Fortunately, serial communication usually is slower than the LAN one, which a slower MCU is ok (like 8051).

It is also same to using Wireless Modem (GPRS modem). The different is only the setup procedure. You still need to do the PPP, TCP/IP ... Luckily there is GPRS modem that have embedded with TCP/IP Stack, which can make the life easier.

picmania cuervo

Use DSTINIm400 Networked Microcontroller Evaluation Board to build your dream machine

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.