Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting real number to single precision floating point numbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravbhand

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,
i want to convert a real number to single precision floating point number without using any float_pkg provided by David Bishop. The package has some errors when i synthesize which has not been resolved yet. Please suggest me another better way to do the job

Thanks in advance,
Gaurav Bhand
email: gauravbhand@gmail.com

use IEE 754 The IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic (IEEE 754) is a technical standard for floating-point computation

use IEE 754 The IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic (IEEE 754) is a technical standard for floating-point computation

Hello gopi_vlsi,
Thanks for your reply. I know the IEEE 754 standard for FP arithmetic, but i want some help regarding the vhdl code for converting real to floating point

Thanks in advance,
Gaurav Bhand

"convert a real number to single precision floating point" only applies to compile time constant generation and hasn't to do with synthesis. It's achieved by the VHDL float package without any problems, I think. Which errors do you have in mind?

For synthesis of float arithmetic, you'll usually refer to vendor IP.

"convert a real number to single precision floating point" only applies to compile time constant generation and hasn't to do with synthesis. It's achieved by the VHDL float package without any problems, I think. Which errors do you have in mind?

For synthesis of float arithmetic, you'll usually refer to vendor IP.

Hi FvM
thanks for your reply. I am trying to use fixed_pkg_c provided in David Bishop website, i am using Xilinx 9.2 ise and i followed the process mentioned in the documentation. Yet, i get the following error

Error Xst:2683 - Unexpected error found while building hierarchy.

I dont understand where the problem is?
Can you suggest a proper step by step procedure to convert real number (input given as binary for ex. 9.2 is 1001.1 etc) and output in single precision floating point format. That is basically i want to write a code of a real number given as binary input to a floating point converter.

Thanks in advance
Gaurav Bhand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back