Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting lumped capacitor into distributed capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazim

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear friends

i simulated a 12 pF lumped capacitor in ADS at 900 MHz connected in series and now i want to convert this capacitor to distributed one, i mean to implement this using microstrip line. does anyone know how to do it...i read some literature regarding interdigital capaictor but still i had to confirm if someone among u have tried to implement it......

Though I haven't implemented, even I have seen some papers where distributed capacitors are implemented by interdigital capacitors. I think that's the way to go.

12 pF is huge value for a interdigital capacitor because it will use fringe capacitor between metal fingers...But if you have space you may realize but it will have very low Q factor because of ESR.

I agree, 12 pf is a lot. You will need multiple fingers, with a very small gap, and have significant finger length. Also, you will incur significant shunt capacitance that needs to be analyzed too.

thanks gys for u help but i was wondering if there is some other way i could implement a distributed capacitor. i have space of 7 mm in total to put in the capacitor but as i said lumped capacitors have very low bandwith

thanks gys for u help but i was wondering if there is some other way i could implement a distributed capacitor. i have space of 7 mm in total to put in the capacitor but as i said lumped capacitors have very low bandwith
Using very thin substrate and high dielectric coefficient may help you to build up a stacked (2 or more layers) capacitor if you don''t have any thickness constraint..

\[\displaystyle C= \frac{{\varepsilon}_{0}{\varepsilon}_{r}A}{h}\]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back