Not open for further replies.

cane21

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

If I need to convert a sine wave to a phase shifted square wave, would the simplest way be to use a phase shift RC oscillator after a Schmit trigger?

Hi,

Frequency, voltage, voltage offset, current, phase shift?

A schmitt trigger may be useful to generate square wave, but you have to take care about input voltage levels and voltage offset.
As it includes a hysteresis .. it will generate a phase shifted square wave (if adjusted for symmetric output).

Depending on shift angle one solution could be to first shift the sine, then use a schmitt trigger.
(Using an RC after the schmitt trigger will destroy square wave)

But all this is guessing without specifications.

Klaus

Thanks,

It's just a filtered sin wave : 4 sin(500t) + sin (15000t) to be shifted by 60 degrees.

So shifting first then using a schmitt trigger should be okay?

Hi,

It's just a filtered sin wave : 4 sin(500t) + sin (15000t) to be shifted by 60 degrees.
Now you have two frequencies. it´s not a simple sinewave anymore. How comes?

A filtered sine wave will remain a sinewave. Frequency will still be the same, just amplidute and phase may change. I wonder why there is a second frequency.
..and how you want to generate a square wave from two interlaced sinewaves..

Maybe do a simulation. There are free simulation tools. Even Excel can do this job.

Klaus

Sorry for being vague, that was the original signal but I have already filtered it through a LPF. I am using LTSpice to simulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.