Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert RS-232 to USB on a old notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

PicBlaster

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i have a USB PIC programmer, that i want to use on my old notebook, but the notebook has no usb-port only rs-232 ports.

I have search the net, but only found some circuits for USB to RS-232.

I hope you can help me !!!

best regards
PicBlaster

Have a look at PL2303:
**broken link removed**
Also, you can find similar topics here in the Forum.

Regards,
IanP

This is tricky. USB to Serial convertors will not work here. In order to communicate with your usb programmer, you'll need a usb host. If your laptop has a pcmcia slot, it'll be much easier to get a pcmcia usb card.

Another solution is to open up your programmer and check if it is using a usb-to-serial convertor like pl2303 or ft232 chips. You can directly tap out the serial signals.

I think there is no chip available to

realize your intent, because these chips

has no space to live. most of us

do not need these chips. converting

USB to RS232 may make sense,

converting RS232 to USB make

no sense.

best regards

PicBlaster said:
Hi, i have a USB PIC programmer, that i want to use on my old notebook, but the notebook has no usb-port only rs-232 ports.

I have search the net, but only found some circuits for USB to RS-232.

I hope you can help me !!!

best regards
PicBlaster

Dear PicBlaster, I like to know the site you found some circuits for USB to RS232. You may write to email: thixxxx@sltnet.lk / xxxx@gmail.com
MOD: Your mail ID is removed. If you expect every member to contact you through your mail ID, why you have joiined the forum? Forum is open for all. You may share anything in open. Next time i see you asking anyone to mail you, you'll get a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back