Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert frequency counter to Rf frequency counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamed Slama

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have done 50 MHZ frequency counter by pic 16f877A .

i have radio frequency (33MHZ) signal in transmitter that contains antenna .

My question is :is there any interface between the antenna and my frequency counter to measure this rf signal ??

Are you wanting to check that the broadcast is on frequency?

Is it strong enough to be picked up by a nearby antenna? This might be a simple length of wire connected to the input of your frequency counter.

If you need more voltage swing, then perhaps an LC tank designed to resonate at 33 MHz.

yes the output power is around 300 milli watt

so, any logic gates are needed to measure this signal

You may need to amplify the signal. A logic gate by itself will not do that.

A transistor would be the component to achieve this. (Perhaps a microwave transistor.)

At 300mW you won't need any further amplification to measure the frequency.

What is the input impedance of your frequency counter? It's probably a safe bet - and especially given its low working frequency - to assume it's high (...perhaps of order ~1Mohm?) The most important thing to be done for the measurement is to make sure the transmitter is correctly terminated into it's nominal output impedance, which is generally 50 ohms.

If your frequency counter input impedance is 50 ohms, you can directly connect the transmitter to its input - but beware it's maximum input power/amplitude/level specification. 300mW (which equates to nearly 25 dBm) is a respectable level - and this power will have to be dissipated by the termination within the frequency counter. It might be OK, but check on your counter design - this power is beyond the ratings of the 1/4W carbon resistors of old and small SMD resistors. If the counter can't handle the input power, you'll need an inline attenuator.

If the counter input is Hi-Z (high impedance), use a (BNC?) T-piece: connect the transmitter to one port, the counter to the other and a 50 ohm terminator (rated at > 0.5W) to the last. To avoid transmission line issues, the T-piece & terminator should be located right at the frequency counter input with no interconnecting coax. You can use an arbitrary length of coaxial cable from the transmitter.

300mW equates to sqrt(P*R) = sqrt(0.3 * 50) = 3.9 Vrms (~11 Vpp) in a 50 ohm load, so your counter will have no trouble accurately measuring the signal. Make sure the modulation of the transmitter is turned off (i.e. so you're only transmitting a sinusoidal carrier) so that the (otherwise broad) output spectrum doesn't corrupt your frequency measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.