Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conversion to integrator based filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkpika

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why would we transform an LC ladder filter to a integrator based active filter?? Is it simply because it gets 0 dB in the passband?

What's the advantage over just using LC ladder?

Why would we transform an LC ladder filter to a integrator based active filter?? Is it simply because it gets 0 dB in the passband?
What's the advantage over just using LC ladder?

As the most important reason, the function of the inductance (coil) is replaced by an opamp.
Each wired inductor has unwanted properties: Heavy, EMC (radiation and sensitivity), no tuning capability, cannot be integrated, mechanically sensitive,...
More than that, active integrators provide a (low-resistive) voltage output, thus no additional buffer needed.

It's also more difficult to get tight tolerance inductors then it is tight tolerance capacitors and resistors.

For inductors, I understand.

But why do we still convert capacitors to active based when you can just use a capacitor?

But why do we still convert capacitors to active based when you can just use a capacitor?
The active feedback is required to emulate the effect of inductors in the circuit and give higher values of Q (or damping factor) for higher order filters with sharper rolloff at the corner frequency then is possible with a passive network of only capacitors and resistors. Active filters are a way to get the good filter response of an LC filter without the L.

I must confess that I don`t understand this question.
No capacitor is "converted to active based".
As there are some different methods to convert passive LC into RC-active topologies (active L, FDNR technique, Leapfrog, FLF,...) , you should be more specific.
It`s best to show us a circuit you are referring to.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.