Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conversion efficiency of a HSMS2860 shunt diode rectifier is not high enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangan1993

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, currently, I tried to make a rectifier simulation using the shunt single diode topology with HSMS2860 diode model as in the attached figure. But after calculating the efficiency, it showed that the highest efficiency is only about 60% at Pin=18dBm and RL=100 Ohm. However, I have read several papers also using HSMS2860 with the same topology, the efficiency can reach over 70%, sometime nearly 80% with higher load resistance. Can someone help me point my errors and give me some recommendation.
Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

higher load resistance = less current = less V drop in the diode = higher efficiency ....
--- Updated ---

also C1 appears to be the wrong way round.

higher load resistance = less current = less V drop in the diode = higher efficiency ....
--- Updated ---

also C1 appears to be the wrong way round.
I also made the efficiency contours with Pin and Rload, and realized with Pin=18 and Rload=100 Ohm can give highest efficiency, but just around 60%, much lower than highest possible efficiency of HSMS2860 in some papers (around 75%). And I dont know why ?

I provided nearly-perfect conjugate matching to input impedance of the diode, and I thought it can yield best efficiency

You mean input impedance measured at Pin=18 dBm in HB analysis?

I notice that HSMS2860 has maximum Vr rating of 4V which clearly exceeded in your test. Suggests that the detector diode isn't particularly suited as effective rectifier above 10 dBm. Also the relation of load resistance to diode Rs sets a limit to achievable efficiency.

Last edited:

You mean input impedance measured at Pin=18 dBm in HB analysis?

I notice that HSMS2860 has maximum Vr rating of 4V which clearly exceeded in your test. Suggests that the detector diode isn't particularly suited as effective rectifier above 10 dBm. Also the relation of load resistance to diode Rs sets a limit to achievable efficiency.
Yes, I conjugately match at Pin=18dBm.
In the attached paper below, the efficiency can be achieved over 70% with Pin=16dBm. I dont know why they can do so?

Attachments

• A_Compact_High-Efficiency_Broadband_Rectifier_With_a_Wide_Dynamic_Range_of_Input_Power_for_Ene...pdf
    845.7 KB · Views: 87

You realize that the paper implements a different topology by using a transmission line in series with the diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.