Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling or interfacing USB Peripherals and devices to uC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadat007

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Can any one have idea how to interface a USB printer or or other USB devices to a uC?
Like I want to control my Creative MP3 player via its USB and don't want to use PC.
Thx

Re: Controlling or interfacing USB Peripherals and devices t

Does your platform already support USB ?

Hi,
You may not be able to do it easily as you have to implement a USB controller along with your uC. There are two different connectors for the USB cable. One that plugs into your MP3 is what plgs into all other USB devices. It is easier to buit a target system and more meaningful to buy the host system, in this case the PC is already equipped with it.

Hope this helps,
Madhukar

Regnum said:
Does your platform already support USB ?

The device I want to controll is already USB sopported.
I want to make a HOST to controll it.

Hi,
Exactly. You really want to build what is there in the PC. USB was designed for HOST centric system. What your uC controls is only the data transfer from PC to your device.

If you want to build a host you need to have USB controller IC. You may as well take a look at one of those with the application notes. It is not what people normally attempt.

Good luck
Madhukar

Building a USB device is already quite a formidable task. Building a USB host is quite unthinkable, especially with a puny microcontroller. If you really want to attempt it, you may try looking at Cypress's range of host controllers.
Besides, even if you do figure out how to work the USB host, you'll have to obtain the protocols used by your mp3 player or printer from the manuafacturer, provided they will even bother to entertain your request.

Hi,
It looks like that I should forget about it :(
For the protocols of my Creative MP3 player I have seen on net that some people do communication via PC USB with their own build softwares so the protocols are their.
Atmel also providing HOST USB controller and sent them sample request.

Thx

Hi again,
One more thing I want to point you, just think if parallel interface support stop in future for printers then how embadded sytems will do printing on the available USB printers? May be its to early.
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.