Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control the dimming of lights using microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenncjy

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller dimmer

hi guys,

Im planning to do a project whereby i need to control the dimming of lights.
Rather than limiting the current by manually design the ckt setup, is there any commercially available microprocessor whereby i can do the a/m process.

If yes, may i know the brand and name of the processor.

thanks alot

igbt light dimming

glenncjy said:
hi guys,

Rather than limiting the current by manually design the ckt setup, is there any commercially available microprocessor whereby i can do the a/m process.

thanks alot

here you go

lighting control system using microcontroller

I see one application note from Zilog explaining how build one dimmer for resistive load.

For more details, visit zilog home page.

Gorkin.

dimmer microcontroller

hai

Thanks fragrence for the attachement.

I have some clarifcations required .

How can I debugg the system using ICD because I have some altrations to suit my purpose .

The system is live so cannot connect the ICD or any other things.

But we can drive the picmicro from a DC sourse during development,But how then we can we give the input to PORTA for zero crossing detection?

can you suggest the best method to isolate the device from AC at the same time give input to I/O of pic to get the zero crossing?

If I use a optocoupler triac driver(MOC3021) for driving triac can we drive the triac from PWM output of PIC16F628 with 10ms period?

Please suggest. I am in A very urgent situation regarding this project

Picstudent

triac dimmer microcontroller

you can't use pwm with triac !
a triac cannot be turn off until next zero crossing
you must use igbt with pwm

light dimmer using 8051

Picstudent said:
hai

Thanks fragrence for the attachement.

If I use a optocoupler triac driver(MOC3021) for driving triac can we drive the triac from PWM output of PIC16F628 with 10ms period?
Picstudent

yes you can used triac with optocoupler moc3021 in pwm never used moc3041 or moc3040 i have temperatuer controller using pwm with moc3021 and driving triac

regards
Fragrance

microcontroller light dimmer triac

[quote="Fragrance ] yes you can used triac with optocoupler moc3021 in pwm never used moc3041 or moc3040 i have temperatuer controller using pwm with moc3021 and driving triac

regards
Fragrance[/quote]

can you give some more details about period of PWM and how or weather you synchronise with AC ? My purpose to control the speed of a ceiling fan

Thanks
Picstudent

phase control using microcontroller

Controlling AC power with a triac is called phase control. If you intend to control power delivered to the lamp wit a triac, you should trigger the triac at a certain point in the AC cycle that gives you the required RMS voltage output. PWM can be used if you intend to supply the lamp from a DC source. I did it before with the PIC16F876 PWM and a power transistor and it was excellent.

micro controller phase control

Check for pic reference on chip 12c508,Bst application on dimmer.

microcontroller light dimmer control

What you have to do is:
- Circuit for AC zero-crossing optoisolator detection.
- Circuit to delay amount for time since zero-crossing occurs, which then enables an output to occur until the next zero-crossing.
- You have to convert the amount of time delay against a light-curve look-up table, because light brightness doesn't change in a linear line, which is done with a microcontroller.
- The output from the timer circuit drives an optoisolator which trigger a triac circuit or a AC power switch "brick".
- You will need a big inductor in the AC output to reduce switch noise, otherwise will cause lots of RF interference.

Added after 12 minutes:

Here is a circuit that I found on the internet, some great ideas.

Attachments

• ac_light_chaser_circuit_1233.pdf
    672.8 KB · Views: 1,109
microcontroller dimmer edaboard

Hai Enlightenment

Thanks for that circuit

Where can I find the code for that?
Can you help me

Nandhu

moc3021 pic

glenncjy said:
hi guys,

thanks alot

YOU can use a z8 microcontroller and use a Pulse with modulation to control the brightness of a bulb.

microcontroller light dimmer controller

well i have one as well, this one can conrol single phase motors as well, using PIC16F628A,

here, portb is the speed configuration of the circuit. i hav put 2 dip sw's, 0 being off state and 255 is full/on state. u can put a 8 bit counter / modify the code / add a 8 bit port of a mcu with up/dwn buttons

for any help plz let me know

regards

igbt light dimmer

IGBT is good on performance and easy to control, price is high.

Triac is cheap but need AC zero-crossing optoisolator detection and exteral control.

Light dimming is a wide topic.

pic pwm zero crossing detector light dimmer

How much is the chip now?

fan dimmer using 8051

We are call this method " Phase controller ", by you must have a reference signal from AC source 50Hz or 60Hz, the connect this signal to your microcontroller external interrupt pin for reference to make the phase control signal. Using the timer to on and off the control signal.

microcontroller ac light dimmer

what should be change if 60hz 220v mains is used?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back