Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Continuous-time Sigma Delta Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

thikgaidep

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I am designing a CT Sigma Delta ADC. I just know there are 2 methodologies: one is designed based on Discrete time SD, and the other is based on designing a CT loop filter as the starting point. I would like to ask which one is better and why. If both of them are not very good, if there are any better methods or not? I would be much appreciated.

Thank you and Yours sincerely,
thikgaidep

Hello, thikgaidep

I am starting to work with CT Sigma-Delta in my master dissertation. Well, I studied both techniques, and I prefer the first one. It has more documentation, and a lot of papers dealing with.

Also, you can compare the responses of th DT loop and the CT after transformation.

A good book to read (with a lot of information) is: Continuous-Time Sigma-Delta A/D Conversion: Fundamentals, Performance Limits and Robust Implementations, by F. Gerfers, M. Ortmanns.

I hop to help you.

Regards.

thank you pcca,
Have you read the paper: A 70-mW 300-MHz CMOS Continuous-time SD ADC with 15-MHz Bandwidth and 11 Bits of Resolution JSSC 2004? In the paper, the method designing CT loop filter as the starting point is discussed. I think it is a straight option escaping from large deviation of CT SD from the original DT design. I wonder if this method is more accurate and stable or not? Do you guys have any ideas on it.

Thanks,
thikgaidep

Hello, thikgaidep.

In fact, I did not read the paper you cited. At this moment I am performing some simulations to evaluate clock jitter influence in CT SD modulators.
I am simulating modulators with NRZ and SCR DACs in Simulink.

To design my CT modulators I start with the sigma-delta toolbox (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/19) to find the apropriate NTF and after that I perform the DT-CT tranformation.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.