Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

continuous time comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

geozog86

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

I started this post in Analog Circuit, but i was advised to move it here.

Task: i have to create a continuous time comparator, i.e., i don't have a fast clock to check periodically the situation (like in the most common AD comparator) but i want just to hook up one input to a threshold (low, around 500mV), and the other to a slow rising voltage (0 to 0.5 in 15usec) and then i want it to change state. The next stage is a memory-let's say a flip flop. And the crucial point is temperature stability. I should be changing state in the memory at the same time moment, no matter what temperature i'm using (-30 to 90), so i care about the moment i'm crossing the threshold of the memory to be constant: i don't care if the comparator will start changing state earlier, with a different slope or whatever.

Questions:
1)Is my topology going to be just an amplifier that will saturate? Is that the "basic comparator topology"?
2)Which topology is benefitial to provide symmetrical behaviour in rising slope and falling slope?
3)See below: first approach is this simple topology of an amplifier. I am showing you the results of the two outputs in room temperature. I get it that one output is what i want and the other is worse, due to the different inputs that they see. But when i'm sweeping from -30 to 90 degrees you see the other plot, with 3 temperatures. You see that in 90 it's working "faster", changing state earlier, room temperature it's slower, and in -30 it doesn't even work!

Of course this stage has only 40dB of gain, and i guess my final topology will have to have a lot more, but i'm just asking why is this happening? Are there "temperature resistant" amplifier/comparator topologies?

THank you all very much

PS i'm using an old technology, 700nm, and a supply of 1.8V

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 111.pdf
    23.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 333.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 60

Please, any idea can help me, so don't hesitate to give me even basic and general instructions. And i hope i'm not giving so many details that i'm making it hard for you to help me :)

could you please make it more precise? Just a question, without clock, how can you acess the flip-flop?

my mistake. Suppose i am changing a latch, not a flip flop

Of course this stage has only 40dB of gain, and i guess my final topology will have to have a lot more ...
Right. Try a comparator topology with at least 60..80dB of gain, incl. (internal) positive feedback, s. e.g. the following figures:
and: View attachment comp025.pdf

... i'm just asking why is this happening? Are there "temperature resistant" amplifier/comparator topologies?
Temperature dependence of threshold voltages. High gain reduces its effect.

I'm back...After todays simulations, i didn't see any improvement in temp behaviour with increased gain, i mean i'm getting the following figure:
1-I need some cycles till my comparator starts working well.. why?
2-close inspection in room temperature. Ok, thx to the 92dB in implemented, i'm seing a really steep transition from level to level. But how will i make them both be at the same point? (like real threshold crossing +5ns both for going high->low and low->high)
3-over temp.....still sharp in two temps, but in one still not even working!!!! And still the changing of state of the comparator is happening in a very different time moment compared to the actual crossing. That is what i want to make less.....Any idea? :)

PS all these with my topology. I will start using positive feedback tomorrow to try the two topologies proposed by erikl

thanks to anyone who will keep helping :)

Attachments

• plus1.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 71
  • plus2.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 62
  • plus3.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor