Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

consulting USB3.0 layout, with double connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamir_a

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sw1.png

Hi,

I'm designing a USB mux, that support USB 3.0 switching also.
The basic idea is that an external controller controls the USB mux, the mux can transfer the USB data to one of two connectors ( 1 & 2) ( see attached picture)

I want to have both A and B type connectors at the same time at both ends of the device, that way I can select: A) which of 2 PCs to connect to Disk on key, or B) which of the disk on key to connect to the PC.
(only one option at a time).

My question: will I have a problem because the USB 3.0 has a 5 Gbps signaling rate ? ( will the extra wire and unused connector will use as antenna and cause problems ?
How can I test it ?

If that not the place to ask, can you point me where can I ?

Thanks a lot
Shamir

Hi,

I don't understand the question, are you worried about EMI on your cables? then you should consider solutions to prevent it like grounding the box of the switch.

final EMI considerations depend on your schematic weather one port affects the other or not
regards

I think, it's not feasible even for high speed USB 2.0, neither switch nor the unconnected jack antennas.

I think, it's not feasible even for high speed USB 2.0, neither switch nor the unconnected jack antennas.

can I ask why? he can use two controllable mosfet switches. Analog switches. Its just like tap. given a good grounding why can't he build the switch?

he can use two controllable mosfet switches. Analog switches. Its just like tap. given a good grounding why can't he build the switch?
They won't work for 480 Mbit/s, keeping the USB impedance specification.

Or can you suggest a part that will work, even for USB 3.0?

Hi,

Actually I'm not sure for USB3, maybe it will not have the full speed but for USB 2 there are some parts for USB Switches. like MAX4906.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are right, a few devices like the said Maxim switches can work for high speed USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back