Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constructive criticism on Power Supply for Xilinx FPGA and CPLDs (attached pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BABY

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI Guys,

im just in the middle of designing a power supply for a board with Xilinx Spartan 3E and a couple CPLD's on it.. i have read a mountain of datasheets from Xilinx (ds312, ug313, ug786, xapp623 etc) and looked over a few schematics of boards with similar hardware.. allot use custom designed LDO IC's from Texas.. which are cool.. but very small.. keeping in mind i will be hand assembling the pcb and will be taking measurements with a DMM around spots i need some space.. if you would like to look at the attached image below of what i have so far.. note 5V_REF if for an ADC and that is all.. the other supplies VCC 3.3v, 5V, 2.5V, 1.2V are going to a mixture of SRAM, one Xilinx S3E, and a few Xilinx XC9500XL CPLD's.. i have looked through whats available at Digikey and in TO-263 or TO-252 with around 1amp of supply and the regulators pictured was what i chose.. is there need for any other Capacitors / inductors / resistors?.. your thoughts

thanks in advance

I'm missing a lot of smaller cap's in your design. Note that the larger cap's are typically for buffering, and the smaller for 'filtering'.
If a design shows three cap's, say 1 nF, 100 nF and 10 uF, you should place all three cap's because they are there for different purposes. Don't think that just a single 10 uF cap will do (it does if you only look at the capacity, but not if you look at the function). Also the type of cap's (ceramic, elco) can make a difference.
In general I would follow the manufacturers datasheet and use the adviced parts.
A FPGA -might- need the voltages to be present in a specific order; make sure that your design does it too if that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back