Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

construct a PTAT current source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuiyun

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to construct a PTAT current source using only the output voltage of the bandgap ? (can't use any of the internal nodes of the bandgap cell. Only it's output.)

feed the output back to the R1 and R2 of the input

You can't use the node inside the bandgap ,only its output :)

Try this:

1. Tie the reference voltage to the gate and a resistor at the source of the same transistor.

2. Use current mirror, mirror current flowing thru the transistor to where you need the current source.

My train of thought: With reference voltage, I can use that to regulate a drain current. Therefore fixing the drain current and using current mirror i can steer that to where i want.

Level shift your voltage reference output with a bipolar transistor. Then you get
V2=Vref-Vbe, which is a PTAT voltage. Apply this voltage across a resistor. You can have a PTAT current.
BTW: Pay attention to the temperature coefficient of the resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.