Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constant current boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebunny

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I am trying to design a dc/dc boost converter with constant output current.

Vin = 12 V

Vout = 16 V
and Iout = 65 A

1) I was reading about continuous conduction mode (CCM) and discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) but I am not sure
which it is better for this application.

2) Considering the high current level, to achieve a decent efficiency, it is fine to go with a single dc/dc? or it would be better to go interleaved? if it is the case, which are the drawbacks?

Thank you very much,

eB.

In this request, constant current doesn't make any sense since you've already defined a fixed output voltage.

Prototyp_V1.0,

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify my question.

Output Voltage has only limitation in his Vmax=16V, so I guess it can go 0-16V.
I just need the fix output current, I=65A.

Thank you very much,

eB.

Output Voltage has only limitation in his Vmax=16V, so I guess it can go 0-16V.
I just need the fix output current, I=65A.
This means, a regular boost converter can't work, you need a buck/boost converter.

This means, a regular boost converter can't work, you need a buck/boost converter.

Thank you,

I would like to know why as well. :)

Any suggestions before I start designing the buck/boost?

Thanks,

eB.

Sounds like a solar charge controller with PV panel of lower voltage then battery voltage.

If so, you can get by with a basic boost only with the addition of a series MOSFET switch, at the input.

Problem with a boost switcher is the input is always connected to output through the switching coil.

I am still confuse,

I have done some calculation and simulation in simulink but it is way far to be correct.
I tried to do a buck converter too so at least the Iout dose not go to zero, but it was not successful.

Please any suggestions?
Thank you very much,

eB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back