Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connector for vertical daughter board to main PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Since we have run out of room on our PCB, we need to add a daughter board to fit on the extra circuitry.
I have looked under "board to board" connector but can find nothing suitable.
Does any reader know what is the correct term for this part?...so that we can find one.

It just needs to be kind of like this..kind of...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/prod...&istBid=tztx&gclid=CPOb2rrQhMUCFe_JtAodnWkAfQ

......it will fit into the main board, and then be hand soldered to the daughter board, so that the daughter board sits up vertically, taking up little room. We need it to be through hole, and it will "plug" into the main board, and be thereby soldered into.

It all depends one the number of connections you need to make. If it's only a few then I would recommend placing a female (receptable) header on the main board and through hole right angle headers on the daughter board. This can also be a double row solution.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Just verify in SAMTEC website. You can any type of connectors.
My suggestion would be go with some small pitch of 1.27mm of male connector at one board and female at the other board.

T

0.1" pin header as shown in post #1
but I would go with the 1.27mm as suggested, unless there are critical signals.....

T

I don't think the small pitch connectors will have problem in carrying the critical signals its about the handling. When you are using fine pitch connectors need to handle carefuly.

T

As far as I understand, you want a single-row angled pin header to be soldered on both sides.

The are available with 2.54, 2.0 and 1.27 mm pitch. For through-hole connection, a pitch below 2.0 isn't well suited, because the pad clearance becomes too low and hand-soldering inconvenient.

T

After finalising the connector. Kindly inform us asking this just for knowledge sake and also don't forget to mark this thread has solved once you finalised the connector.

T

Look at Toby's website.

**broken link removed**

It will give you ideas.

Am I correct in thinking that you want the daughter board to be perpendicular to the main board?
If that is so then you want something that is right angled, if it is to be a permanently soldered connection on both boards then something like **broken link removed** will do this well, they are Samtec numbered connectors so you can shop around.

Solder these to the daughter board then fit it into the motherboard and it can be soldered at the same time as other PTH components, it's a cheap & simple solution.

The straight ones you link to mean that the physical connection is relying on the bond between the pad and the laminate, movement could pull the pads off, if the pins go through a PTH hole then you should have a stronger bond.
I have used these on high voltage daughter boards in their thousands with little problems.

Or would you like to be able to unplug the daughter board for repairs\replacements?

T

Then going for the ones in the 2nd link. If you want clearance\spacing you can also consider using different connectors, the 2.54 for signals and a greater spaced one for higher voltages.

Or if there are not many then as you say - cut a pin out.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back