Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connection between pcb editor and schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

prsk

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi..im new to pcb editor...i am not able to use the parts in a created schematic directly in the pcb editor design window. can someone tell me how to go about it? do i need to create a new footprint for each part? that is tedious....
thank you

PCB editor as in Altium Designer?

Did you include footprint to each of the components on the schematic?
Did you use the schematic to generate PCB, as in "forward annotation"?

Depends on what kind of components that you are using. If you are using some common components such as axial or radial TMD, the libraries provided by the software would be suffice. If your components include some sophisticated packages like 44 or 64-pin counts QFP, you might need to create your own footprint by taking account into density, solderability and some manufacturing issues.

Managing own library is a tedious work at first, but through creating footprint, you get to know even more parameters regarding DFP (design for production), whether the footprint you designed is feasible for assembly.

There are reasons for everything we do in PCB design process =) Cheers!

hi thanx for the reply
i did not create a new footprint for each pf the parts. i found footprints for resistors and capacitors, but not for the rest(logic gates and voltage sources). i placed them in pcb editor window using place parts option. if i have to create my own library of footprints...can you tell me how to go about it?
thank you!! :)

Hi prsk. Can you confirm you are using Altium Designer?

o sry..didnt see that question..im using orcad pcb editor

I never use Orcad before, I think you have to refer to the help manual that I have posted before for library editor.
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/217064/ #4
Besides you can refer to the help available in the software.

Bear in mind that the silkscreen of the component does not represent the outline of the real component. Please do not match the silkscreen to the exact size of the component you are creating. You can draw the outline of the component using other mechanical layer which is for your reference use and rule setting.

Reactions: prsk

prsk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thank tou...i will check into that manual!!:smile:

hi.. that manual was helpful but didnt solve the problem....what are the footprints for logic gates and sources?
and i found some.drf files...do you know how to open them and read its contents? adobe wont read it, word pad has junk mostly....how do i read the details of the footprint? for eg, res400 is a footprint of a resisitor but how do i know its specifications of length,etc. and how it is diffeent from ers500?

thx in advance!

Actually all the components should have pcb footprint name filled on Orcad. You need to create the footprint of the missed components in the layout program yourself and name them as you wish. After creating the footprint (in allegro,pads or some other layout program) open the schematic model in Orcad, right click on it --> edit part --> options --> package properties --> pcb footprint
just write the same name of the footprint you created (exactly same) and save.

prsk

Components have a .dra extension and can be opened from File,Open, then select symbol drawing at the bottom of the screen.
For a standard set of component names look for data on IPC-7351

prsk

hey thx a lot xeratule n marce....al of it worked..its a lot clearer now!! :)

hi
im still having a glitch in allegro pcb editor...i ve given the logic gates footprint of dip14_3, now hen i place parts manually, on selecting it, the symbol appears on the designer grid but does not get placed.there is no error either and the rest of the components like diodes, resisitors, etc. got placed. how do i place teh logic gate symbols? they appear as U1,U2,ets. in the part placement list.
thank you.

It's been 3 years since I last used allegro and don't remember encountering such a problem. You could maybe rename the footprint like you created it yourself and try again. And please take care of the schematic and footprint pin numbers consistence.

um..what do you mean by "take care of the schematic and footprint pin numbers consistence"? i used an existing footprint in allegro.

If the schematic and footprint pin numbers don't match, there could be a consistence problem. As I said before try saving the same footprint with different name and try using it. That sometimes helps.

i tried changing the name of the footrint..it does not work in my case.
thanx for the suggestion. :)

hi
im still having a glitch in allegro pcb editor...i ve given the logic gates footprint of dip14_3, now hen i place parts manually, on selecting it, the symbol appears on the designer grid but does not get placed.there is no error either and the rest of the components like diodes, resisitors, etc. got placed. how do i place teh logic gate symbols? they appear as U1,U2,ets. in the part placement list.
thank you.

u need to define the "psmpath" and "padpath"
goto setup>user preference>path>library then set the directory for psmpath and padpath to directory you save your footprint..

the psmpath and padpath are directed to a folder called symbols which has the foorptints i ve used. only the the footprins i ve used for the logic gates(dip14_3) is not getting placed on the board(although the symbol appears and the command window says placing component). the resisitor, diode and transisitor footprints got placed.

is that pad file that u use for that dip is there? not .dra but .pad file.

i only found psm files for corresponding dra files in pcb editor. i found a lot of pad files like smd425rec220,pad60cir42 etc. but noing on dip. the issue is i did not find pad files for res400 and to107 which i used in design and they got placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back