Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting two embedded systems using Bluetooth USB Dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_ahmed22

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
zigbee rs232 dongle

How can I build system like that??
How can i connect 2 or more embedded systems using this Bluetooth USB Dongle?
why Bluetooth USB Dongle? it is cheap and available everywhere.
any advice is appreciated.
thanks alot

89_1210509133.jpg

Re: Connecting two embedded systems using Bluetooth USB Dong

where can I get a RS232 bluetooth dongle???

Dear
You can use something like this:
But I think these are so expensive!

thanks a lot for everybody for replying
but the (Bluetooth Serial Adaptor) is not available everywhere.... :(
And the Bluetooth USB Dongle is available. and cheap too.
how can i overcum this.
thank you all

blueroomelectronics said:
Much cheaper to use XBee

hi friends,
I am new to Xbee technology
and I did a search on net and read some documents abt Xbee.
(**broken link removed**)
Now I have some doubts.
Is it possible to communicate(setup) and Xbee module with a microcontroller without using it's "makecontroler" board?
If so, what's it's communication media? RS232, USB, UDP or all?
If not, Is it possible to setup one Xbee module as master and other as slave and communicate each other ?
If anyone experienced with Xbee pls explain.

eng_ahmed22 said:
how can i overcum this.
thank you all

Unfortunately you can not overcome this. You need a USB host to communicate with a USB slave (your bluetooth usb dongle is a USB slave). And even if you have an embeded host, probably it will not support bluetooth.

creative_35 said:
Much cheaper to use XBee

hi friends,
I am new to Xbee technology
and I did a search on net and read some documents abt Xbee.
(**broken link removed**)
Now I have some doubts.
Is it possible to communicate(setup) and Xbee module with a microcontroller without using it's "makecontroler" board?
If so, what's it's communication media? RS232, USB, UDP or all?
If not, Is it possible to setup one Xbee module as master and other as slave and communicate each other ?
If anyone experienced with Xbee pls explain.

An XBee master is often called a PAN controller, you can control many XBee devices from one master. Some are MESH which means that XBees can relay data from one device to another to extend the range. The I/O on the module is 3.3V tolerant so you'll need a level converter to talk with a 5V device.
XBee use AT type commands (similar to SMS or Modem type commands)

I don't know what sort of embedded system you want to use. First of all, there are microcontrollers there with a usb host integrated. Second, you could easily use usb host interface chips, like those from cypress. Then you'll be able to use your usb bluetooth dongle (although it needs some tricks, because it's not simple usb).

xiaofan said:
eng_ahmed22 said:
how can i overcum this.
thank you all

Unfortunately you can not overcome this. You need a USB host to communicate with a USB slave (your bluetooth usb dongle is a USB slave). And even if you have an embeded host, probably it will not support bluetooth.
Thanks xiaofan for your reply.
but is there any other cheap and easy method to exchange data between two embedded systems without using cables or/and wires, I mean simple wireless data Tx Rx??
the speed is not important at all, I mean very slow data rate is acceptable.
also it is possible (as a beginning) send data from one system to the other one (i.e one will transmit data to the other one which will not send any data.)
thanks a lot
Ahmed

XBee is cheap and easy, it's about the least expensive that'll do what you want.

Though I have not used XBee, I agree with blueroomelectronics. I took a look at the link blue provided and took note that the XBee modules are made by Maxstream. I did some work two years ago with Maxtream short range radio modems and implemented a four node LAN for an remote control mining application. The LAN comprised four to five nodes driven with PIC uCs. The Maxstream radio modems used an internalspreadspectrum protocol in the ISM radio frequencies. A TDMA protocol was developed for the nodes on the LAN to schedule communciations between the nodes. Having also worked with Bluetooth on embedded systems the Maxtream modules were easier to use.

Regards.
JVJ

I have not used Zigbee yet, but I have used Bluetooth modules from KC WireFee with great success. The modules were 3.3V tolerant and connected to the MCU with an integrated serial port. Footprint of the modules is 17mmx22mm and feature and integrated antenna.

The modules also use the AT command structure and as such controlling the modules is quite simple from a MCU point of view.

Cheers,
Slayer

Slayerza said:
I have not used Zigbee yet, but I have used Bluetooth modules from .....

I, too, have not worked with Zigbee/XBEE. I have worked with Bluetooth and ISM band radio modems.

And I agree that Bluetooth modules are easy to use. The Bluetooth dongles and embedded modules I worked with were made by Blue Radios. There is a bit of overhead in using Bluetooth if one wants simple point-to-point radio comms. For one thing, two devices must be paired before they will work together.

The Maxstream radio modems I worked with needed to be configured so the four or five modems assigned to network would recoginze each ohter and ignore RF from other nearby radio modems. Once configured, data packets would pass through these modems without the need for supervisory commands, e.g. AT commands. There are other considerations beyond the scope of this post.

Because I needed to look up a few things I thought, in the interests of clarity, I would explain that Zigbee is a non-proprietary name for a standard for radio modems defined under IEEE 802.15.4. XBEE is a proprietary name for a product designed to the same standard. And Maxtream, the developers of XBEE, was aquired by DIGI.

"many engineers saw a need for self-organizing ad-hoc digital radio networks."
And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wireless_data_standards

Thanks for this interesting thread and all contributions.
JVJ

Thanks a lot for all of u :)
I'll study these great ideas and chose the available one.
It will depend on the availability of modules here in my country.
many thanks to all of u
Ahmed

TDK Blue2I serial blutooth kits, Can it be another solution.?

Status
Not open for further replies.