Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting two cores via prepreg in PCB

MuroSamuro

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
My question regards to PCB manufacturing process.
Say I have two PCB cores (some type of ROGERS) that were etched, i.e. there is no top/bottom metal in each of them. I wish to connect them using PCB process using the appropriate prepreg (bonding).
Is it possible to do so ? note that there is no metal at all.
See a vizualization in the attached file. The green layers are the core (some type of ROGERS), where the yellow is the appropriate prepreg (also from ROGERS). note that there is no metal layer at all.

Thank you

Attachments

• core_prepreg.JPG
    core_prepreg.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 54
Hi,

I´m confused:
* You say "that were etched"
* but then you say "there is no metal at all"

In my eyas this is contradicting. Because usually copper becomes etched (nothing else) and copper surely is metal.

Your picture shows green and yellow. But you don´t say what is what.

In my eyes laminated cores using prepreg ... but without metal ... is not a PCB at all.
A PCB should contain traces, pads, vias ....(all these are metal)

Klaus

Actually I did say what is what. The green is some type of ROGERS and the yellow is prepreg.
The application could be a dielectric radome for an antenna. In the design of such a radome I do not need traces, pads, vias or anything like that.
Each ROGERS layer (green) is obtained by removing all metal from its top and bottom, so you are left only with the dielectric.

Last edited:
Hi,

Actually I did say what is what. The green is some type of ROGERS and the yellow is prepreg.
Sorry. I completely missed that.

I agree when laminating them ... you get something. I can´t say whether it is useful or not.
But do you really call it PCB = Printed Circuit Board? Printed? Circuit?

In either case. Why use copper laminated then etch all copper away? I guess you can buy some core material without copper.

What is your idea? Laminating them on your own, or ask a company to do this?
In case of company:
Since this is some kind of special case .... I´d ask the company about recommendations. They know best how copper (or not) influences the lamination process.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back