Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting STP16NF06 Mosfet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob solder

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, my first post here.
i am having trouble understanding how to connect a stp16nf06 mosfet.
i have a sn7407 driver and need to connect it to the mosfet which will then connect to a fan and ground.
the mosfet has 3 pins G(1), D(2) and S(3). which pins would connect to ground, the fan, and the 7407 driver?

Gate Drain and Source? what do these mean exactly? gate is from the 7407, drain is ground and source is power/fan?

any help? sorry if this doesnt make sense, im not good at this as you can tell :(
thanks

Last edited:

Depending on whether the MOSFET is NMOS or PMOS. NMOS is used for pull down network. PMOS is used for pull up network. So, gate is from 7407, Power to Drain and fan to Source, the other terminal from fan will be connected to Ground.

Gate = The control of inversion layer. This inversion layer means the electrons/ holes generated that allows the voltage to pass through
Drain = Is connected to VDD for NMOS and GND for PMOS
Source = Is connected to GND for NMOS and VDD for PMOS

thanks, one more quesiton please... how can you tell whether it is NMOS or PMOS? does it say in the datasheet?
also, i have a diagram here, it shows the other terminal from fan connects to 12v (not ground as you said), is this perfectly normal?

It is in the datasheet or most of them will tell in the title as you search for the part no. such as (STP16NF06 Datasheet pdf - N-CHANNEL 60V - 0.08 OHM - 16A TO-220/TO .) Can you post the diagram? Yup. Its normal depending on how you connect. But the circuit may do it differently. That i would have to take a look at the circuit. :)

sorry for the slow reply.

just to confirm. mosfet pin1 = 7407, pin2(drain) = VDD(fan/power), pin3(source) = GND. ???

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.