Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting programmer with the pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi8820

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using an avr isp programmer for programming an ATMEGA 16A microcontroller. I had connected the programmer to a USB port on the computer, but the in use LED of the programmer is not blinking. I have installed all the drivers of the programmer correctly. I have also correctly connected the header pins of both microcontroller and the programmer.
Please help me in this regard.

Hi..!
is it partially working or completely dead??
which programmer cable you are using??
I mean is it connected through USB to SERIAL converter cable??
or is it directly USB kind of cable??

Best of "WORK"..!!

Last edited:

In the manual given with this programmer it is written that when programmer will be connected first time to the computer, the computer will detect it and we have to install the drivers from the product CD at that time. we have to do this only one time. But on connecting with computer it demands driver installation whenever connected. I am using a programmer cable for connecting it with computer having one end as usb port and other end as power jack for connecting with programmer. But the in use LED of programmer is not blinking even on connecting it with microcontroller. Now computer is not detecting the programmer. Is there some fault in my computer or there is fault in programmer. programmer LED is blinking separately when connected separately with a battery.

- - - Updated - - -

In the manual given with this programmer it is written that when programmer will be connected first time to the computer, the computer will detect it and we have to install the drivers from the product CD at that time. we have to do this only one time. But on connecting with computer it demands driver installation whenever connected. I am using a programmer cable for connecting it with computer having one end as usb port and other end as power jack for connecting with programmer. But the in use LED of programmer is not blinking even on connecting it with microcontroller. Now computer is not detecting the programmer. Is there some fault in my computer or there is fault in programmer. programmer LED is blinking separately when connected separately with a battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try to contact seller and get some support ?

What device manager says about device driver ?

I hope so that you didnt buy that from some Del Boy.

I am using a programmer cable for connecting it with computer having one end as usb port and other end as power jack
power jack means?? it's pin is like this ??
:
help.JPGimages (1).jpg

connecting programmer with a pc

No, I had not made any contact with the seller. Since, I was not sure whether the programmer is not alright or i am making some mistake. I had bought the programmer online, from 'PROBOTS'. In the images you have posted the third one is that i am calling the power jack. Kindly help me in this regars.

ok. first ting you should know is this is not a "power jack" it is a USB pin of type B.
check the device manager and see if all drivers are installed or not??
and let me know what you see.
Happy to help.:lol:

Maybe this programmer use power from USB port, this is nothing unusual.

Best is to post name of programmer and some picture or manufacturer link.

Is this your programmer ?

https://probots.co.in/index.php?mai...id=196&zenid=b8799735a381141901ba70a76721c37f

He take power from PC USB port.

You made mistake with drivers. Try to put programmer in the same USB port in PC. Check installation of drivers, or contact seller maybe you get defective device.

You can contact them via email, they have support page.

:wink:

yes it is the same programmer you have posted. But now the computer is not detecting the programmer.How can i check whether problem is in my computer or in the programmer? I have installed the divers as the manual of the programmer suggests......................

- - - Updated - - -

I am posting the link location of the programmer which i am using. Now the computer is not detecting the programmer.How can i check whether problem is in my computer or in the programmer? I have installed the divers as the manual of the programmer suggests......................

- - - Updated - - -

I am posting the link location of the programmer which i am using.
http://probots.co.in/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=196&zenid=b8799735a381141901ba70a76721c37f
Now the computer is not detecting the programmer.How can i check whether problem is in my computer or in the programmer? I have installed the divers as the manual of the programmer suggests......................In device manager is it is seen that drivers are correctly installed.............

- - - Updated - - -

yes this is the same programmer i am using.......... Now computer is not detecting it............. I have correctly installed drivers according to the manual of the programmer...........How can i check whether my computer or my programmer is faulty?????

- - - Updated - - -

yes this is the same programmer i am using................ I have installed all the drivers correctly according to the steps given in manual of the programmer.How can i check whether my computer or my programmer is faulty????????????? Now computer is not recognizing the programmer.

go to embeddedmarket.com and there search for the avrisp programmer there u can find the driver called usb tiny or you can google it and download the driver , now manually update the driver and it should work and one more thing there will be a jumper on the chip make sure it is connected that may also cause similar trouble.

@Ravi8820

One of things what is possible what happen with your programmer, is that programmer dont have firmware inside uC.

Can you try different USB cable to make clear situation, also we said earlier that you try programmer and also didnt work.

One of things what is possible what happen with your programmer, is that programmer dont have firmware inside uC.
I think this is the problem because our professor has got a kit which has a uC board and a programmer. now if he programs the uC that came along with kit then it works fine.
but when he replace the uC(same config,name, but just another piece.) then it doesn't work..:?:

I think this is the problem because our professor has got a kit which has a uC board and a programmer. now if he programs the uC that came along with kit then it works fine.
but when he replace the uC(same config,name, but just another piece.) then it doesn't work..:?:

This new µC what he put inside socket must be programmed, probably is empty. µC must have data code inside to operate. :wink:

hi ravi,

you check it any where in other systems. otherwise claim that to their contact, they'll guide you.

you mean ANY data code???

No, it must be firmware for that programmer.

Its USBasp programmer. This is free and DIY programmer, they sell this programmer in kit or finished.

They put firmware in zip arhive, you can download from site.

Maybe your professor want to test you, and watch how you will solve this situation.

Here is firmware for ATMega8 or ATMega48 :

Attachments

• firmware.rar
    7.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reactions: anj

anj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you can ready some other programmer for you.

I think he already have this programmer.

For programming firmware into ATMega8 or ATMega48 for this programmer, You can use this small and easy to make RS-232 programmer :

avr_programmer_schematic.jpg

Software for this programmer is PonyProg You can download it from this address :

http://www.lancos.com/ppwin95.html

In PonyProg choose :

Serial, SI Prog I/O.

want to test you
you guessed awesome..!!:)
Yesterday he told me that he has already solved this problem and was checking my reactions..:)
now i have a question:
can we use that DIY programmer to program the ATMEGA8 ??
if yes.. then why we are loading firmwares??.. just load program through DIY programmer..!!
will it work or this is crap thought..??:p

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.