Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting Programmer with laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanslonly

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI
I am a freshie in embedded. I need to connect the 89c51 programmer with my laptop. Since there are no serial ports, I decided to use the bafo BF-810 USb to Serial port. But the problem is, although the BF-810 has been properly installed in the laptop, but it is not getting connected to the programmer. I use EZ-3 uploader to upload the program. But the EZ uploader is not showing any chip detection. Please help.

one thing you can check is 'what serial port the usb2serial adater is mapped to'?

from controlpanel /system of the os , find the post no.
that port is what to be specified for ez-3 downloader.

one thing you can check is 'what serial port the usb2serial adater is mapped to'?

from controlpanel /system of the os , find the post no.
that port is what to be specified for ez-3 downloader.

After this confirmation, Also do Check the Serial Port from Hyperterm for further Confirmation.

A common problem for laptop users. I have tried to work serial port programmers for PIC and AVR micros using USB to Serial converters in my laptop, none of them worked(olimex notes this problem for AVRs serial port prog.). Those programmers need actual serial port, converters dont work. I dont know why! Some say converters cant supply high enough voltage to reach programming voltage... Try paralel port programmers(if it is exist in your laptop) or usb programmers.

First of all do the following to verify whether your USB-to-Serial converter is working or not:

Short Tx & Rx pin of DB9 connector, and see if you getting loopback readback or not, use HyperTerminal.

Windows "Device Manager" will tell you which COM port no. is currently assigned. Yes, COM port no. changes if you plug the cable to a different USB port, so please take a note of it.

After connecting the cable to USB, can I change its port number from Device manager?? For example, COM22 to COM1??

yeah, if com1 is free (not in use) you can change, just go to the device manager, com22, - properties- port setttings- advanced - there you can change the port number... while you connect your usb adapter to the VERY_SAME USB port all the time (and don't disconnect-reconnect while a program access that port) this configuration will remain...

don't forget to test like @Jack// ani said...

Status
Not open for further replies.