Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting Handheld Radio to Audio Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

campbell

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am working on a tracking system for an amateur high altitude balloon. Basically I am taking NEMA sentences from a GPS reciever and using a microcontroller to create an APRS packet and encoding it into AX.25 (BELL202) audio frequency keying tones. Everything works great up to there. I can connect my output into my computer's sound card and the packets are received perfectly.

However, when I connect the audio output into the mic jack of a PX-777 radio (ground on sleeve, signal on ring) as soon as the radio is triggered the voltage across my power supply drops and the microcontroller resets continually, the only signal that is transmitted is a high pitched whine. I cannot figure out what is going wrong, I have tried adding series resistance to the audio output, using a low pass filter, and even buffering the output with an OPAMP. But every time the radio is triggered the whole system goes haywire.

Any general advice on connecting audio circuits to handheld radios may be of use.

Added after 1 hours 34 minutes:

Ok... as per usual after trying all kinds of fixes and doing hours of trouble shooting the system sprang to life twenty seconds after posting my first message. I think I have found the problem... please let me know if this makes sense. When I run the radio off its battery the voltage goes crazy and it fails... when I run it on dc power (or the battery for the first minute or so after it is fully charged) it works. My hypothesis is that the charge difference between the radio's ground and the system's ground is so great that when they are connected instead of equalizing they cause a disruptive current to flow. When both systems are running off of dc wall warts the ground is the same and no problems arise. If this is the case I am in the clear because in the final design all the onboard electronics will run off one bank of batteries so the ground will be shared.

I am not sure if this makes any sense, I have never encountered a problem like this before when interfaceing.

did you DC isolate the audio line between the APRS unit and the handheld ?

you should have a capacitor inline to do that say 1 to 10uF with that done
it wouldnt matter if the grounds of the 2 units are common.

make sure that the handheld battery is lasting ok on its own for more than a minute
the battery may also be failing (old and no longer holding a full charge)

Dave

When I was still having the problem I did have a 10uF capacitor in series with the audio output and the radio mic input, is that what you mean? It still did not function properly. As for the radio battery it is only two weeks old and I have used it for voice transmission and it has held up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back