Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting a piezoelectric transducer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I've been looking at some piezo elements with their driving circuits online, and I'm puzzled by a few things. A piezo element is supposedly a capacitive load, and, according to some forum posts, the polarity doesn't really matter. The manufacturers normally specify their rated peak-to-peak voltage. Now, suppose I have a driving circuit, which generates a 16Vp-p 50% duty cycle square waveform at 1 kHz. Assuming the piezo transducer is rated for this voltage, I'd like to feed the given waveform to the element, but I'm mystified how to correctly connect the device.

Should I connect one end to the driving circuit and the other to ground? Or should I create a low-impedance virtual ground at +8V in place of the normal 0V ground (or rather use a square wave generator i.e. a full-bridge that generates output from -8 to +8V in respect to the ground rather than 0V to 16V range)? See the attached picture. In both cases the element will be driven by a 16Vp-p range, but the mean voltage will shifted by 8V down to ground, allowing negative voltage to appear on the piezo element.

What is the difference in performance when driving a piezoelectric transducer in the two given ways?

Attachments

• piezo.gif
    piezo.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 70

There's no difference as long as the applied voltage is considerably below the maximal permitted DC voltage level. Otherwise depolarisation of the piezo can happen.

A piezo transducer strongly resonates at a frequency between 3kHz and 6kHz. If you feed it with a 1kHz squarewave then most of its output will be at its odd harmonic number of 3kHz or 5kHz.

Attachments

• piezo speaker.PNG
    piezo speaker.PNG
    52.6 KB · Views: 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back