Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusion on voltage divider and high voltage measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like an interesting problem but too poorly defined. I for one, need overall purpose and more accurate Specs of the design to assist further... input and output, specs, ... physical, environmental, electrical, mechanical..... each will disturb your results. Is it a variable f with a tolerance? Exactly how the Linear amp is designed affects the overall gain , (Q) and thus output amplitude and also to some extent the resonant frequency. The coils and the ESR and self resonant frequency (SRF) are critical. Do you have a part number, or is it custom ferrite with Litz wire . YES all the caps 27,15,82 are critical shift the two resonant frequencies together and slightly together or apart.

Is this a model , a prototype or a national security secret? :p

What is the desired result? To heat up a 50W carbon 1M5 resistor ( which is not common in any lab)

The overall purpose was to build a circuit to magnify a RF signal from source. The signal is a little bit specific in that it contains two frequencies f1 and f2, and f1:f2=1:2. So in order to be resonanced with input signal, the circuit needs to be tuned (through C3) to get 1:2 frequency ratio. All these tuning processes are monitored through the monitoring output connected to a scope. (resonance state was decided by its amplitude)

Once the frequency ratio was obtained correctly, the output voltage was gradually increased through a commercial linear amp between RF source and the circuit. The desired the voltage output was 6kV-7kV. That output voltage was also monitored through monitoring port, with a designed voltage divider ratio of 1:1000, which means I should observed 6-7V through the scope.

Up to now, I have successfully got all except I am not sure how much voltage do I really obtain from output. I think I should have some direct observation of the output voltage. There are two ways of doing that: 1) directly measuring output voltage (with some attenuators in between the scope), and 2) directly measuring voltage divider ratio, which was what I have done.

The equipment was homemade, and was built to function as a voltage source for research purpose only. No national security secret involved. ;-) I am now also trying to fabricate another set of inductors of higher Q instead of current ones.

I must admit I am not a electronics engineer, so I need to learn a lot.

Thanks for your interests.

Felix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back