Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusing with this text... Pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We know that:

Lagging power factor means that current lags voltage, implying an inductive load.
Leading power factor means that current leads voltage, implying a capacitive load.

An inductive load is represented by R + jX
An capacitive load is represented by R - jX

The attached text was copied from a textbook. Do you think there are mistakes in the text and figures?

For example:

... line-5 of paragraph P1
For a load of capacitor VAr is produced and considered negative or lagging as in Figure 3.10.

... line-2 of paragraph P2
A capacitive load on the other hand will be represented by R-jX as shown in Figure 3.12 and hence produces lagging VArs.

Pls check if there are other mistakes.

Please advise. I'm confused now....

Thanks

3-2-8.gif

3-2-8-Figures.gif

hi
as i read i understand that the text writter is making a onvention differrnt than the usaul one..,,,,,,,,,,but.......not a wronge one

regards

Nimer said:
hi
as i read i understand that the text writter is making a onvention differrnt than the usaul one..,,,,,,,,,,but.......not a wronge one
Do you think the following statements are OK?

... line-5 of paragraph P1
For a load of capacitor VAr is produced and considered negative or lagging as in Figure 3.10.

.. line-2 of paragraph P2
A capacitive load on the other hand will be represented by R-jX as shown in Figure 3.12 and hence produces lagging VArs.

Shoud 'lagging' read as 'leading'? Pls advise.

I think fig3-10 and 3-14 should say leading and fig3-15 lagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back