Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused over PLL lock range, pull out range, pull in range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan79

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pll lock range

I am a bit confused over these PLL terminologies.

This is what I get.

Lock range: Maximum initial frequency offset which PLL acquire lock without cycle slips (in a single beat between reference signal and feedback signal)

Pull in range: Maximum initial frequency offset which PLL eventually acquire lock but with cycle slips. It is the largest value of offset for which the loop can still lock/pull-in, even with many cycle slips. If offset greater than pull in range, then the loop cannot acquire lock.

Pull out range: The pull-out range is that frequency step which causes a PLL to fall out lock if applied to the reference input of the PLL. The PLL may acquire lock again through a slow pull-in process.

Hold range: When PLL is phase-locked, it is the maximum frequency range in which frequency of the input reference signal can slowly be pulled away from the free running frequency of VCO but PLL still maintain phase-locked condition. It is static stability limit.

lock range < pull out range < pull in range < hold range

Question:

1. What happens if the reference signal offset frequency exceed lock range, but smaller than pull out range?

2. Any idea how to simulate the above terms, given I have formulas to calculate each of them?

Thanks.

Added after 5 hours 31 minutes:

I think I have found a very good document that explains these 4 terms (at pg 7,8)

PLL presentaton by Texas Instrument:

http://pasquale.lamanna.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/file.pdf

hold in range pll

in charge-pump PLL these may be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.