Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Concise tutorial about how to run Synopsys tools from RTL to GDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixdaemon

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am mostly a software person, but I can program in Verilog and I understand the ASIC design workflow in general.
Through my job I have access to all Synopsys tool licenses.

Is there a concise tutorial that describes step by step how to run Synopsys tools to build GDS from Verilog? Alternatively, a set of shell scripts that do the same would be helpful.

I am not after production quality of results. My purpose is to learn how to run the tools at the command line level.

If you have access to solvnet, you may download RM (reference methodoloty) set of RTL-to-GDS scripts. (it is also avaialable in the ICC2/FC GUI Help menu)

Overview
========
This RM script package contains scripts to run a full RTL to GDSII flow. You can run
from synthesis through the entire place and route flow with these scripts.

There are several reference methodology downloads on solvnet that have the word 'compiler' in them: Design Compiler, Fusion Compiler, IC Compiler, IC Compiler II.

Are all of them able to compile from RTL to GDS? What is the difference between them?

Well, Fusion Compiler = DC + ICC (ICC2). So, if you have access to Fusion Compiler - it is the best choise,

@oratie

I tried to run FC-RM_U-2022.12 but it fails to run simple Verilog modules. It fails with errors like:
RM-error: Design has no site rows or site arrays. Please fix it before you continue!
RM-error: Design has no signal terminals. Please fix it before you continue!
RM-error: Design has no tracks. Please fix it before you continue!
RM-warning: Design does not contain any PG shapes. You do not have proper PG structure. If this is unexpected, please double check before you continue!
RM-warning: Design has no boundary or tap cells. If this is unexpected, please double check before you continue!

Do you know what is the minimal tcl script that can compile a simple Verilog module to GDSII?

Synopsys RMs or UGs from Solvnet would be the most authentic sources. If you have access to the tools, you or someone else in your org must have a Solvnet login.

If you know the ASIC word, as you mentioned , you understand the row is not define and the tool cannot place any std cell...

Read the documentation and start by doing a simple synthesis to then place this netlist... and the following steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back