Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Hardware for CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmirMohammad

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
I want to provide a desktop computer optimized to run CST Microwave studio. May anyone help me for the best specification of parts including CPU, Motherboard,... . I want it to support the maximum value of Ram and perform at the max speed. I also dont Know which of the intel or AMD matches to this application.

Sincerely

In general, I would go with a quad core, hyperthreading cpu, at least 2.8 GHz, probably with 16 GB of ram with the fasted memory speed I could find. Dual high speed hard drives.

Not that familiar with CST, so I do not know the best operating system to use. But my recent (bad) experience with VISTA suggests that you go with XP Pro. If CST can use 64 bit, I would go with a 64 bit machine.

Thx a lot.
I dont know how much differs quad core for example with dual CPU motherboard? and what about difference between AMD and Intel. As a common rule it is said that for graphical users with softwares such as Photoshop,... AMD is more appropriate, but what about CST. Which of them is suitable?

I strongly recommend you to choose hardware that meets the following requirements and you might also to consider a GPU, so let's take the following configuration :

- Latest Intel Xeon processor (currently Intel Xeon processors of the 55xx series, a.k.a. Gainestown)

- fast RAM memory modules (DDR3, RDIMM supporting 1333 MHz) where the memory modules must be arranged in multiples of 3 per socket, I recommend you small number of modules with high capacity

- a 100% OpenGL compatible graphic card (Nvidia Quatro FX580). If additional resources are needed like acceleration card, then I would recommend 1 x Nvidia Tesla C1060

- Min 500GB HD

- Windows XP 64 bit will be able to handle more than 2G/3G RAM memory for mutitask.

Good lucky, Enrico.

Dear Enrico
Thanks a lot, is a strong graphic card important for CST applications, I'm offered an intel server motherboard with onboard garphic adapter, does it provide CST requirements? and again what about choose between AMD & Intel? and another problem that on different computers, CPU handling is different, and it handles 25-98% of CPU on different computers from one case to another, What's the reason?

I strongly recommend you to choose hardware that meets the following requirements and you might also to consider a GPU, so let's take the following configuration :

- Latest Intel Xeon processor (currently Intel Xeon processors of the 55xx series, a.k.a. Gainestown)

- fast RAM memory modules (DDR3, RDIMM supporting 1333 MHz) where the memory modules must be arranged in multiples of 3 per socket, I recommend you small number of modules with high capacity

- a 100% OpenGL compatible graphic card (Nvidia Quatro FX580). If additional resources are needed like acceleration card, then I would recommend 1 x Nvidia Tesla C1060

- Min 500GB HD

- Windows XP 64 bit will be able to handle more than 2G/3G RAM memory for mutitask.

Good lucky, Enrico.

Dear Enrico,
I have the following pc for CST simulation:
- intel motherboard
- 2 Xeon E5520
- 36 GB ram 1066MHz
- nvidia Quadro FX580 512MB
- HDD 1 TB
and now I want to add a GPU accelerator as nVIDIA Tesla but I'm doing some test: use the Quadro FX580 as an GPU accelerator (it supports CUDA) but I don't understand why CST "doesn't find the graphic card" setting up the GPU acceleration.

Dear Enrico,
I have the following pc for CST simulation:
- intel motherboard
- 2 Xeon E5520
- 36 GB ram 1066MHz
- nvidia Quadro FX580 512MB
- HDD 1 TB
and now I want to add a GPU accelerator as nVIDIA Tesla but I'm doing some test: use the Quadro FX580 as an GPU accelerator (it supports CUDA) but I don't understand why CST "doesn't find the graphic card" setting up the GPU acceleration.

Because you need a Token for enable the GPU card to work with CST. Tokens cost around 10K Euro for 1 card.

yeah it is amazing how these software vendors screw you on the price of every little feature

Yeah, it is outrageous that programmers want to be payed for their hard work.

was not talking about yours, I actually own sonnet. Was talking about the $70,000 programs.

A fully configured Sonnet Pro license can be on the order of $70,000 as well. Specialized software sold in small quantities can be expensive, because development and all the related work (documentation etc.) isn't that trivial.

Regarding the extra cost for special features, like GPU license for CST or High Performance solver for Sonnet, or cluster licenses: not everyone needs this, and not everyone is able and inclined to pay for it. Making these features optional, instead of having just one expensive bundle with everything included, isn't a bad thing. It means that people with different budget can find a solution that fits their needs and budget.

Last edited:

I realize this is an old thread but need to mention that hyperthread and EM simulators do not seem to work well together. You will only get about 75% CPU utilization for CST, AWR, ADS, etc.

GE

i am agree with ge.
hyperthreading is not supported fully in cst, cpu usage in transient will never exceed real core capacity, then around 50% of cpu is implemented.

IMHO not correct compare CST and AWR&ADS.
They are totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back